Custom Search

Thread: No requirement for vapor barrier in crawlspace?

Thanks

No requirement for vapor barrier in crawlspace?

Been scratching my head and the code books hard on this one. Can't find anything in the 2009 IECC or IBC that states a vapor barrier is required over the dirt in a passive vented crawlspace (crawlspace with foundation vents) of a commercial building. Am I missing something? Any input is appreciated. Eric

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Coder For This Useful Post:

rogerpa (January 15th, 2013)

Thanks
    Not required but a vapor barrier makes a big difference in the amount of ventilation required

1203.3.1 Openings for under-floor ventilation.
    The minimum net area of ventilation openings shall not be less than 1 square foot for each 150 square feet (0.67 m2 for each 100 m2) of crawl-space area

1203.3.2 Exceptions.
    The following are exceptions to Sections 1203.3 and 1203.3.1:

2. The total area of ventilation openings is permitted to be reduced to 1/1,500 of the under-floor area where the ground surface is covered with a Class I vapor retarder material and the required openings are placed so as to provide cross ventilation of the space. The installation of operable louvers shall not be prohibited.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mtlogcabin For This Useful Post:

benny (January 16th, 2013)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    There are vapor barrier requirements and then there are Radon barrier requirements.

Is CO concerned with Radon?

Thanks
    Not a requirement. a concern yes but..We have adopted Appendix F in the 2009 IRC but the radon control measures in this appendix do not pertain to commercial buildings. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Has something to do with the amount of time a home is occupied versus say a school building, office, etc. I would like to see radon control techniques implemented in ALL new construction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Inspector View Post
    Not a requirement. a concern yes but..We have adopted Appendix F in the 2009 IRC but the radon control measures in this appendix do not pertain to commercial buildings. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Has something to do with the amount of time a home is occupied versus say a school building, office, etc. I would like to see radon control techniques implemented in ALL new construction.
    Could anyone out there confirm for me that Radon control measures are only called out in Appenndix F in the IRC and not anywhere in the IBC? Thanks. ie: optional in commercial buildings?

Thanks
    You are correct, not in the IBC.
    Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in mud, pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it!

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
    You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at
    http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fatboy For This Useful Post:

Coder (May 29th, 2013)

Thanks
    I thought so as well. Sometimes I need to hear it from someone else smarter than me. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks
    No problem.....don't know about the "smarter" thing. You knew it, I just was helping you through it!
    Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in mud, pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it!

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.

Thanks
    I just spent 5 days in CO looking for property (and potential places of employment) and never ran across Frigidville. Is there really a place or are you just cold?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
    I just spent 5 days in CO looking for property (and potential places of employment) and never ran across Frigidville. Is there really a place or are you just cold?
    Cold and ruthless! JK.. I actually am referring to Gunnison, CO in the wintertime.

Thanks
    And it is the ice box of the state, trust me!