Custom Search

Thread: would your require a permit?

Sawhorse
    Thanks

would your require a permit?

Greetings all,

We have a new hospital finished in 2009. They recently underwent an inspection by the state that was supposed to have been done a year after C/O. So they were in some trouble straightaway. Among the things that need be corrected according to TDH are 3 rooms they are requiring to have a 1 hour rating and currently are not rated. The reason is that apparently under state rules any room used for soiled linen storage is required to be rated. The contractor has called me with questions regarding this as it will be difficult to do and will he be required to get a permit. My thought is no on the permit and that this would be between the hospital and what the state requires. My reasoning is thus. In the 09 IBC, T508.2.5 states that "waste and linen collection rooms over 100 square feet" shall be required to have a "1 hour fire rating or provide automatic fire extinguishing system" Since the building is sprinklered that should negate the requirements for the 1 hour rating. So if the state is asking for something to be beyond the scope of the Code I don't feel that it need be permitted. I might add that I don't really want to get involved either to be blunt.

Opinions?

thanksabunch
    BS
    Too many codes, too few brain cells.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BSSTG View Post
    So if the state is asking for something to be beyond the scope of the Code I don't feel that it need be permitted. Opinions?
    Would you do this for other entities?

Thanks
    Is IBC Chapter One adopted or is it different?

Though the building code does not require the room to be rated a permit shall be issued for work unless you determine it to be minor or exempt.

We have a hospital under construction but since we do not enforce NFPA 101, it was fortunate and wise that an arrangement was made for the state to verify the plans to compliance.
    Thanks for clicking on the advertisers to help keep the website free to all users.

ACCESS TO VIRGINIA CODES: 2009 Commonwealth of Virginia Codes

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    Yes permit required, basicly remodel

Plus fd more then likely has to do annual inspections, so it would be nice if the new wall was designed, constructed, and inspected properly

Thanks
    Where I am the state health department conducts inspections (unless the joint commision gets involved) after the building has been finished. We inspected primarily out of NFPA101 and NFPA99 per CMS requirements. 101 would require the separation/protection as well as negative air. The local AHJ may or may not have been involved depending on whether or not there actually was one but they would only inspect according to the codes they have adopted. Either way the most restrictive would apply, usually 101 & 99. IMO a permit would be required and you would inspect per your adopted codes. The state (whatever agency they use) would also inspect according to their respective codes. I think CMS pretty much rules the roost and would require enforcement of 101 but I'm not sure if they would have anything to say outside of that. CMS will send out their own inspector sooner or later and this will probably be caught by them.

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    Greetings

Texas Department of Health is the authority requiring this upgrade for these linen rooms. I just really didn't want to get too involved. That said, I guess it's not such a big deal. I've talked with the architect and he's getting me all of the paperwork I need. This hospital has had several real issues pop up that got missed in plan review that they have had to fix already. Now this. Oh well, another learning experience. At least all of this was done the year prior to me getting here!

Thanks for yall's help!

BS
    Too many codes, too few brain cells.

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    well you are talking a texas state agency!!!!! kind of s-u-i- to review plans/building after it has been built!!!!, and then say welllll you forgot those are suppose to be rated walls, need to fix

But, it has been like that for 20 years plus, so why fix wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!