Custom Search

Thread: 1 hr fire rated storage room

Sawhorse
    Thanks

1 hr fire rated storage room

have a 1 hr rated storage room, designer has submitted a UL-U419 wall, typical 1 layer (each side) 5/8" type "X" Gypsum, no problem. For the ceiling he submitted a UL-P516 2 layers 5/8" bottom side of framing, not a problem. My question is is there a detail on how the two should join? walls extend all the way to the bottom of roof deck (typical metal building) and the ceiling is down about 5'. The two layers on the ceiling will join just one layer on the wall. They say there is not a detail. I have not found any reference to how this joint should be. Any thoughts?

Sunny SC - Coastal (not Charleston or Myrtle Beach)
    Thanks
    why is the ceiling being rated? if the walls go to the roof deck
    Lost is the south......
    Can you build to the minimum standards?

Help us by supporting this forum .....If the advice you seek saved you a few bucks, pass on the wealth to this forum

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

FWIW- MCP,CBO,CPE, ASCET, and A BYOB Ga. Dawg Fan!

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    Kind of like a rated corridor does???

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    yeah I dont think that would need a rated ceiling if the walls are to the deck.

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    There is ALWAYS a detail....they are just too lazy to find it....I agree with the esteemed members above...if the drywall (entire rated wall assembly)goes to the deck...ceiling not required...other wise the ceiling needs to be the lid on the walls, not side hung....Hence the reason fire rated platform type framing is so difficult to do correctly....
    Please support Jim Brown, Deputy Building Official from Gillette, Wyoming for ICC Board of Directors.
    My questions and answers are based on some bastardized hodge podge starting with the 2003 I-codes amended by the state of CT in 2005 and 2009 including the 2005 NEC ....and as of today.....The 2011 Connecticut Amendments to the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code portion of the 2005 State Building Code has been posted to the State Building Inspector’s website

Sunny SC - Coastal (not Charleston or Myrtle Beach)
    Thanks
    If I was the designer, I would extend the walls to the roof deck and install ACT in the storage room if the ceiling aesthetics are that important. otherwise, i would omit the ceiling and save a few bucks
    Lost is the south......
    Can you build to the minimum standards?

Help us by supporting this forum .....If the advice you seek saved you a few bucks, pass on the wealth to this forum

http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

FWIW- MCP,CBO,CPE, ASCET, and A BYOB Ga. Dawg Fan!

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    The problem with the roof deck and wall connection is the roof is a typical metal building with "Z" purlins but then have a mesh liner attached to the bottom of the purlins with 8" batt insulation running between purlins and another 4" batt laying across the purlins under the metal decking. the standard detail from the MBMA for a fire rated wall and deck is to compress the standard 2-3 inch roof insulation, but since this has the liner mesh and extra insulation it does not meet that detail.

Sawhorse
    Thanks
    So, your saying you cannot figure out a decent detail at the wall to deck connection? then terminate the walls below the deck and use a rated tunnel type detail for the lid. build the lid just like the wall and your done. I would want to see a slip track if the walls are connected to the roof deck.