Announcement

Collapse

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

Stair Gate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stair Gate

I received the attached photo from a university medical center. The question was whether there was any reason that a swinging gate couldn't be installed in place of the railing, to allow access from this floor down to the lower level. Apparently the staff is jumping over the railing because the elevators are slow. I haven't seen a set-up like this before, where the egress from the lower level is separated from the egress from the other levels, so I couldn't think of a reason why they couldn't remove the railing and add the swinging gate, but I thought y'all might know. I have attached a floor plan which shows 2 of these divided-stair situations. It is a 6-story building built in 1979. If there is other information you need, I know you will tell me.
    Attached Files
    Lori Greene, AHC/CDC, CCPR, FDAI ~ Allegion, PLC ~ www.iDigHardware.com

Potential Conflict with reduction of egress width as a guess

Comment

A swinging gate when open will block one exit or the other by more than 1/2 the exit width. Also certainly could not swing toward the landing at the top of the stairway going to the floor below.

Comment

or could be a convergance of occupant load requiring more than 32 or 34" unit egress width

Comment

I'm on the Canadian codes, so this may not be of any help but, is there any reason they could not just remove the railing completely?

Comment

In past code there was a requirement that stated, "Enclosed exit stairs that continue beyond the level of exit discharge shall be inturrupted at the floor of discharge by partitions, doors or other effective means." The barrier prevented someone in a panic situation from passing the exit door in their hurry to get down the stair.
            I looked but couldn't find this requirement in the 06 IBC.
            Does anyone know if it is still there and if so where?

Comment

The anti cascade gate would not be used during emergency egress so blocking the egress width should not be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                In past code there was a requirement that stated, "Enclosed exit stairs that continue beyond the level of exit discharge shall be inturrupted at the floor of discharge by partitions, doors or other effective means." The barrier prevented someone in a panic situation from passing the exit door in their hurry to get down the stair.
                I looked but couldn't find this requirement in the 06 IBC.
                Does anyone know if it is still there and if so where?
                look under "discahrge Identification"

it is 1022.7 in the 09, and does not look like a change from the 06

that is what it looks like to me, to keep someone from going down, and the left side is up from the lower floor

agree if they can put something in that does not mess with exit width required
                Last edited by cda; March 15th, 2012, 15:09.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player The flag is up!

Comment

I wonder if they open it say 3 -4 feet and put a half gate across that opening, that would only swing into the 1st level landing???

if they could make it so that it does not decress the allowable width going out the door, put gives the required width coming up the stairs from below??

http://amezz.com/selfclosingsafetygate.html
                  Last edited by cda; March 15th, 2012, 16:08.

Comment

Put a small gate 30 or 32 inches, (it is not a means of egress), hold it open with a mag holder that will release during an alarm. Occupants will have free access at al times. The gate will close and provide the barrier when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlogcabin View Post
                      Put a small gate 30 or 32 inches, (it is not a means of egress), hold it open with a mag holder that will release during an alarm. Occupants will have free access at al times. The gate will close and provide the barrier when needed.
                      two problems??

1. it a ppears you need a barrier to keep people from going down the stairs.

2. and if there is a non fire emergency the gate is going to stay open

Comment

two problems??

1. it a ppears you need a barrier to keep people from going down the stairs. Only during an emergency
                        2. and if there is a non fire emergency the gate is going to stay open Good point but how do you notify occupants to vacate a building with out a notification system being activated?

Comment

Originally posted by mtlogcabin View Post
                          two problems??

1. it a ppears you need a barrier to keep people from going down the stairs. Only during an emergency
                          2. and if there is a non fire emergency the gate is going to stay open Good point but how do you notify occupants to vacate a building with out a notification system being activated?

Have to check back in office
                          1022.7 in the 09, do not remember seeing only on emergency

"""Good point but how do you notify occupants to vacate a building with out a notification system being activated?""
                          When the guy is chasing me with a gun will notify people by yelling like a banchii
                          Last edited by cda; March 15th, 2012, 17:33.

Comment

1022.7 Discharge identification. A stairway in an exit enclosure shall not continue below its level of exit discharge unless an approved barrier is provided at the level of exit discharge to prevent persons from unintentionally continuing into levels below. Directional exit signs shall be provided as specified in Section 1011.

Comment

Two problems??
                              I see no problems... Would you have a problem if it were a wall?
                              “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”― Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X