Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

***Forum Software Change***

Hi folks,

For those of you living under a rock, we have decided to completely change the software platform that this forum is operated by. We continue to strive to provide a high quality, spam free, professional, modern place where those involved in the building code arena can exchange information. We will be swapping to the new software in the next few days. A few more reminders in addition to the several emails that I sent out:

1) You will be required to reset your password. That is just the way it is. You will be prompted initially and there are very obvious links for you to click on for a password reset or reminder.
2) Make sure that your email address is up to date. If you signed up under an email that is no longer in use, we have no way to get a hold of you.
3) The swap is happening and happening soon. All of the log in links and main page will be the same URL so you should not have to create a new one. That part should be seamless.
4) We already changed servers to a faster one last week and unless I told you, you would never know. This is all setting the stage.
5) The forum will look similar but you will have to spend time looking around, figuring out how to do everything. It is a much, much better platform. This is a whine free zone.

***We asked for money to help offset the costs and a few very dedicated people really stepped up to the plate. We fell short of our goal and the costs are more than was estimated. I want to thank those few people that helped us to keep this forum up and running. AS A RESULT of falling short of our goal and the fact that 99.9% of the users did not help, there will be some permission changes happening over the next few weeks. We need everyone to step up and appreciate the value of this forum.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Administrator
2 of 2 < >

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

1208.1 Min. room widths.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1208.1 Min. room widths.

I did quite a bit of searching on that other site for information regarding section 1208.1 and min. room widths. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Is that a 78.3% correct statement? I ask because I have a new office tenant finish out which is showing a DR's office that measures 6'x8'. Not only wouldn't it make it for section 1208.1 but also 1208.3. Habitable space? Doesn't look like it. It would have helped me if in the code commentary it listed office or commercial space as not being included in this.

Any thoughts? As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces.

Re: 1208.1 Min. room widths.

HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

Not 'Habitable'

OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Comment

Interesting question. The code language does not limit its application only to dwelling units. The UBC did not address it and the 1999 BOCA limited the minimums to dwelling units. JD, you solved the question?

Comment

Originally posted by rktect 1
        I did quite a bit of searching on that other site for information regarding section 1208.1 and min. room widths. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Is that a 78.3% correct statement? I ask because I have a new office tenant finish out which is showing a DR's office that measures 6'x8'. Not only wouldn't it make it for section 1208.1 but also 1208.3. Habitable space? Doesn't look like it. It would have helped me if in the code commentary it listed office or commercial space as not being included in this.

Any thoughts? As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces.
        Too many questions:
        1. I believe that the concensus, overall, was that this is more a requirement for residential, not commercial. Yes.

2. As of right now I am excluding offices/commercial from the 7 foot min room width. Yes.

3. Excluding spaces such as patient rooms etc used as habitable spaces. Yes.

4. Any thoughts? Yes, just not code related. :mrgreen:

Comment

6' x 8'?

That's a senior administrator's office in a hospital...or an open plan office for six graduate assistants in the english department.

Comment

Originally posted by brudgers

6' x 8'?

That's a senior administrator's office in a hospital...or an open plan office for six graduate assistants in the english department.
            Uh... :shock: Should I tell you I'm sitting in a 12'x14' room right now? No windows but mighty comfy, space wise.

Comment

The commentary reads this way. "This room dimension provision specifies the minimum horizontal dimensions required for all habitable rooms. Any room that functions as a living room, bedroom, dining room or any other similar habitable room must be sized such that a cylinder with a diameter of 7' may be placed in it. Only kitchens are exempt from this requirement. This code provision allows the circulation of ventilation air through the space while maintaining resonably sized living quarters for the occupants."

Sure sounds like it applies to residences only.

Comment

Working...
              X