Announcement

Collapse

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

Egress from electrical equipment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egress from electrical equipment

Many large service panels have hinged doors that lock open perpendicular to the gear. With minimal working space provided, these doors can prevent escape from arching equipment.
    I recall a requirement for a minimum 24" clearance around such doors but I can not find the code section.
    Am I looking in the wrong book?
    Help!!

Both the NEC and the IBC require that equipment rated at greater than 1200 amps have doors serving the room at least 24 inches in width that swing in the direction of travel as well as have panic hardware. Is this what you're looking for?
    This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
    You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

No. I'm looking for a requirement to have a minimum of 24" clearance to get around a metal door attached to the service equipment and held open without having to touch that door which may be energized.
      If the equipment is aching and you have a door open on each side of you blocking your escape, what do you do?
      If you can't get away from the gear without touching it, you can't get away.

Comment

110.26 (C) (2) 2008 nec

Comment

= =
          The depth of the working space(s) around these electrical components is
          in Article 110.26(A)(1) & Table 110.26(A)(1), ...`08 NEC.

Last edited by north star; January 20th, 2012, 13:44.

Comment

Do you feel these code sections clearly include the distance around an open door?

Comment

= =
              "Do you feel these code sections clearly include the distance around an open door?"
              Yes!.......The minimum distance is 3 ft. from the front of the electrical equipment......Also, Article 110.26(A)(2)
              provides for a minimum of 30 inches of working space from each panel.......They can always have more working
              clearance space, but in no case should there be any less than these listed minimums.

= =

Comment

My question is this:
                The required clearance is 3 ft from the front of the equipment.
                If the gear has a 3 ft door that latches in the open position perpendicular to the front of the equipment, is the working clearance now 6 ft from the front of the equipment? Is the front of the equipment now the edge of the open door?
                I fully agree with this application and interpretation, but I do not feel these code sections clearly express that requirement.

Comment

Excelent point retire09.

Comment

= =

From the `08 NEC, Article 110.26(A)(2): " ...In all cases, the working space must be
                    of sufficient width, depth and height to permit all equipment doors to open 90
                    degrees......
                    I agree that the wording in ambiguous [ in the NEC ].

The working space is measured [ typically ] to the front of the equipment and not
                    to an open panel door [
                    <--- from Article 110.26(A)(1) ].

= =

Comment

I think it would be a stretch to call the working space from the front edge of the open door. I understand your concern, but don't think you can get the from working clearances. JMHO
                      Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in mud, pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it!

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
                      You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at
                      http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

Greetings all,
                        In all of my years as a master electrician I have never heard of requiring measuring the clearance from the front of the door swing. I wouldn't go to the witness stand with that interpretation of the NEC or IBC.

BS

Comment

Is this egress clearance around the open door not an obvious safety need that should be required regardless of how the code actually reads?
                          I feel that requiring this will absolutely meet the purpose and intent of the code and not to require it would fail to meet the intent.
                          Do we make it safe and functional or just compliant to the book as written?

Comment

= =
                            Absolutely, ..."safe and functional" !

From [ `08 NEC ] Article 90.1 - Purpose: The purpose of this Code is the practical
                            safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of
                            electricity.

Are you the AHJ, ...designer, ...other?.....Your scenario seems like a no-brainer to me...
                            increase the working clearance.....Width & depth!

& &

Comment

Article 110 Part II addresses the means of entrance and egress for an electrical room. In electrical rooms more than 6 ft wide with equipment rated 1,200 amps and above, there must be one means of egress at each end of the room. The doors must be a minimum of 2 ft wide and 6.5 ft high. The doors should swing out of the room and have panic hardware

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”― Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X