Announcement

Collapse

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

Occupant load for mechanical equipment room in an assembly building

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupant load for mechanical equipment room in an assembly building

Hi,
    In a new assembly building (a small airport) there is a mechanical room at the first floor. Do we calculate occupant load of this room as 9,3 m2 per person (considering it is 'General and high hazard industrial') ? In this case there will be 20 persons in a 183,5 m2 room with AHU's. Isn't it too much for a room that is not an occupiable one?

No
    Make sure of the travel distance to the exits
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”― Mark Twain

Comment

batros,

So that the "math challenged" amongst us can follow along, is it possible to
      convert your numbers to square feet? Also, what codes are you using?
      Thanks!

Please pray for Wilson ("Daddy-O") and his family!

Comment

welcome

This is a building code item, getting tired of the BO coming to fire to ask this question, So I santa brought the BO a new calculator and occupant load table, so the BO can play "fiqure the occupant load"

You think that would make millons as a game????????????

if using the IBC, which does not appear to be the case, would go with 300 sq ft/person
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player The flag is up!

Comment

i gues if you are 101, you are maybe stuck with 100 sq ft??

http://ironwarrior.org/ARE/NFPA_Occupant_Load.pdf
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player The flag is up!

Comment

Based on the information provided the 100 s.f. room will allow a total OL of (1) person. As CDA mentions it appears that you are using 101 based on:

(considering it is 'General and high hazard industrial')
            For you to permit an OL of 20 persons your Mechanical room would need to be 186 m2.

"Fire suppression is a failure in prevention, practice fire safety, the life saved may be your own"

Comment

It's a mechanical room. I understand the person is not from the US and I appreciate his/her diligence, but under IBC Section 1004 (which this person has never seen or heard of) we can't solve the problem without an area value. So seek professional assistance.

Comment

183.5 m2 = 1975.18 sq ft

But we do need to know for sure what code they are operating under.
                Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in mud, pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it!

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
                You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at
                http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

Dear all,
                  Thanks for the kind replies. The code is NFPA 101. I know it is different at IBC (which I have actually heard of). I wanted to make sure if I am missing anything.

Comment

NFPA 101 2006 - occupant load factors.jpg

Batros - NFPA 101 table 7.3.1.2 - 9,3M sq/pp is correct.

Comment

Thanks Markmax33, I appreciate.

Comment

Working...
                      X