Announcement

Collapse

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

Certified Building Official Exams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Building Official Exams

I was wondering who took the CBO exams out there and how they studied for the exams. I have not been able to find any study guides online and was wondering what sort of questions were asked on the exams.

I don't think the internet existed when I took and passed mine in 1991

Comment

I had my combo cert so I only needed to get the legal module. Didn't have any prep guides, just familiarized myself with unfamiliar reference material as best possible, no way to really "study" the material, just needed to know the layouts and what basic info was in each reference. Worked for me.........
      Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in mud, pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it!

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
      You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at
      http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

I just followed the exam content outline provided by ICC and got really, really, really familiar with all the references.

I know of a few others that took CBO prep courses from England Enterprises, but I am not too sure that is really necessary.

To be blunt, if youy can't pass thoses tests, then you haven't properly prepared and don't deserve the certification. Your inquiry here is a good indication that you are on the right path by trying to learn all you can about the exams...
        Bryan P. Holland, MCP

Comment

I also followed the exam content outline and passed the technology portion, now studing for the legal part. and dont forget to bring all of your books with you.

Comment

Back when I took it it in '94ish. It was three parts in one day; pass or fail it all. I didn't have time to reference the books.

Get comfortable with the codes and other reference books. Limber up your fingers so you can flip pages RRREEEEAAALLLLY fast. Answer the ones you know and then go back for the rest.

If you know your job it should be easy peasy, as the Brits say. Good luck.
            Dwight, CBO, MCP

"Indecision is the key to flexibility." Unknown

"Always remember, Son, that anything worth doing is worth having someone do well."
            Someone's Grandfather to the grandson.

Comment

Chad, I'm in the same boat. just passed the tech module last month. Now have to study for the legal / management. If you have an extra $1,000 plus travel and meals I would highly recommend: http://www.constructionexam.com/

Comment

I think the best way to pass is to look up every issue possible that passes over your desk, "bang heads" with your office mates and counterparts over the meaning and interpretation whenever possible, spend time inside of the code book in the context of real applications and issues in the field, and do that for several years or how ever many are needed for you to pass the exam. Take the exam every now and then to see how your body of knowledge and dexterity with the pages is measuring up.

Comment

Yankee, have to disagree to a small extent. Real don't mean jack. The people who write the exams to a large extent have never gotton mud on their boots.

Comment

Originally posted by jpranch View Post
                    Yankee, have to disagree to a small extent. Real don't mean jack. The people who write the exams to a large extent have never gotton mud on their boots.
                    And I'd disagree with your post 98% . . . taking a study course to pass these exams does not an inspector/code officer/building official make.

Comment

The best way to pass an exam is read the code and get the turbo tabs.

The certs look pretty on a wall.. but isn't the true measure of being able to apply what's in the books. Good for plan reviewers and admin types.. less for field folk.

I know a dozen MCP's who couldn't inspect their way out of a paperbag with a code book and scissors. But they can do a good plan review, and run a department effectively.
                      (PE)ach
                      some days are just that.. :banghd

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
                        And I'd disagree with your post 98% . . . taking a study course to pass these exams does not an inspector/code officer/building official make.
                        Well, at least we agree on 2%. I do agree 100% with "taking a study course to pass these exams does not an inspector/code officer/building official make." Just you can pass gas dosen't make one a proctologist. Had a "supervisor" not to long ago that was a icc (cow) certified plans examiner. Passed the exam. No more a plans examiner than a road apple drying in the sun.

peach, good post and right in line with what yankee posted.

Comment

Anyone smart enough to take a college entrance exam(ACT) and get a high enough score to enter college, could pass these tests without much effort. Having the ICC alphabet soup after your name is hardly anything to brag about.

Comment

incognito: I have to agree with you on that point.

Comment

Peach, I have to agree with you. I know a fellow that brags that his certs just mean that he passed the test. He knows nothing about real world inspections.

incognito: I have to agree with you on that point too.

<<Rant deleted after thinking about it.>>
                              Dwight, CBO, MCP

"Indecision is the key to flexibility." Unknown

"Always remember, Son, that anything worth doing is worth having someone do well."
                              Someone's Grandfather to the grandson.

Comment

Working...
                              X