Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

***Forum Software Change***

Hi folks,

For those of you living under a rock, we have decided to completely change the software platform that this forum is operated by. We continue to strive to provide a high quality, spam free, professional, modern place where those involved in the building code arena can exchange information. We will be swapping to the new software in the next few days. A few more reminders in addition to the several emails that I sent out:

1) You will be required to reset your password. That is just the way it is. You will be prompted initially and there are very obvious links for you to click on for a password reset or reminder.
2) Make sure that your email address is up to date. If you signed up under an email that is no longer in use, we have no way to get a hold of you.
3) The swap is happening and happening soon. All of the log in links and main page will be the same URL so you should not have to create a new one. That part should be seamless.
4) We already changed servers to a faster one last week and unless I told you, you would never know. This is all setting the stage.
5) The forum will look similar but you will have to spend time looking around, figuring out how to do everything. It is a much, much better platform. This is a whine free zone.

***We asked for money to help offset the costs and a few very dedicated people really stepped up to the plate. We fell short of our goal and the costs are more than was estimated. I want to thank those few people that helped us to keep this forum up and running. AS A RESULT of falling short of our goal and the fact that 99.9% of the users did not help, there will be some permission changes happening over the next few weeks. We need everyone to step up and appreciate the value of this forum.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Administrator
2 of 2 < >

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

2009 IRC Smokes and Carbon Monoxide Alarms Requiements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 IRC Smokes and Carbon Monoxide Alarms Requiements

The 2009 IRC states:
    R314.3.1 Alterations, repairs and additions. When alterations,
    repairs or additions requiring a permit occur, or when
    one or more sleeping rooms are added or created in existing
    dwellings, the individual dwelling unit shall be equipped with
    smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings.

Exceptions:
    1. Work involving the exterior surfaces of dwellings,
    such as the replacement of roofing or siding, or the
    addition or replacement of windows or doors, or the
    addition of a porch or deck, are exempt from the
    requirements of this section.

2. Installation, alteration or repairs of plumbing or
    mechanical systems are exempt from the requirements
    of this section.

The requirement of a permit kicks in the requirement of CM alarms if the existing structure has an attached garage OR has fuel fired appliances and SD's.

SO this small addition of a sun room that started out with just one circuit for lights and outlets now requires installation of hardwired SD's to current code, one inside every bedroom and centrally located outside of the bedrooms, PLUS CM alarms in the vicinity of the bedrooms.

Now the question. On exception 1 would you require SD per the code AND CM alarms when a Sun Room is being constructed?

We are saying yes....It is an enclosed addition with windows and doors.

Now the question. On exception 1 would you require SD per the code AND CM alarms when a Sun Room is being constructed?

We are saying yes....It is an enclosed addition with windows and doors.
    :agree........................

Comment

YA! YA! I agree.

Comment

so do i, but the fruit and nut state deleted that exception.

Comment

It was worse in the 2006 codes.

But yes, a sunroom (addition) would and has had me tell homeowners to upgrade the entire house.

Comment

Smoke alarms located as required for new dwellings
            There is nothing about CM detectors.

And there is nothing about the installation being per the requirements of new construction.

Battery operated smoke detectors can be placed at the required locations and meet the letter of the code.

But I can understand how actually reading the code is not as much fun as jumping to conclusions and making homeowners dance for one's amusement.

Comment

Originally posted by brudgers View Post
              There is nothing about CM detectors.

And there is nothing about the installation being per the requirements of new construction.

Battery operated smoke detectors can be placed at the required locations and meet the letter of the code.

But I can understand how actually reading the code is not as much fun as jumping to conclusions and making homeowners dance for one's amusement.
              The only way you can use battery operated smokes is if you have to tear into a wall to provide interlocking of the smokes. If there is an attic or basement then they must be hardwired.

R314.4 Power source. Smoke alarms shall receive their primary
              power from the building wiring when such wiring is
              served from a commercial source, and when primary power is
              interrupted, shall receive power from a battery.Wiring shall be
              permanent and without a disconnecting switch other than those
              required for overcurrent protection. Smoke alarms shall be
              interconnected.
              Exceptions:
              1. Smoke alarms shall be permitted to be battery operated
              when installed in buildings without commercial
              power.
              2. Interconnection and hard-wiring of smoke alarms in
              existing areas shall not be required where the alterations
              or repairs do not result in the removal of interior
              wall or ceiling finishes exposing the structure,
              unless there is an attic, crawl space or basement available
              which could provide access for hard wiring and
              interconnection without the removal of interior finishes.

and yes there are requirements for CM's.
              R315.2 Where required in existing dwellings. Where work
              requiring a permit occurs in existing dwellings that have
              attached garages or in existing dwellings within which
              fuel-fired appliances exist, carbon monoxide alarms shall be
              provided in accordance with Section R315.1.

Comment

That isn't what my 2006 building code shows. Battery operated only works if no commercial power.

And the state requires the CM detector.

Comment

From R313.3 Smoke alarms shall be permitted to be battery operated when installed in buildings without commercial power or in buildings that undergo alterations repairs or additions regulated by Section R313.2.1.

Last edited by brudgers; March 8th, 2011, 22:57.

Comment

R313.2.1 Design and installation. Automatic residential fire sprinkler systems shall be designed and installed in accordance with Section P2904 or NFPA 13D.
                    "I'll show that darned Code Official! Thinks he can make ME put in hard-wired smoke detectors, does he? I'll just put in a sprinkler system instead! That'll show HIM a thing or two." Good call Ben! LOL
                    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Comment

Come back to the issue.

Requiring hardwired smoke alarms when someone screens in a porch is asinine.

Comment

Come back to the issue.

Agreed, "or the addition of windows . . . or the addition of a porch"; sprinklers required on alterations, repairs and additions might be next.
                        Last edited by Francis Vineyard; March 9th, 2011, 07:04. Reason: still confused
                        ACCESS TO VIRGINIA CODES: 2009& 2012 Virginia Codes

Comment

We kinda follow Brudgers approach...(with a little less drama) new habitable space, 3-season, living type space...yes,...decks and unenclosed porches no...interior remodel, yes...CT pushes the locations....but not the hardwiring (fishing of wiring) if it would be a large expense compared to the job cost....
                          Boy it's hot!.....And where are we going in this handbasket?

Comment

From R313.3 Smoke alarms shall be permitted to be battery operated when installed in buildings without commercial power or in buildings that undergo alterations repairs or additions regulated by Section R313.2.1.

EXACTLY. So now go read R313.2.1 and in this section, where you can not get access into the crawl or attic, in those places required to have smoke detectors, you can put in battery operated smoke detectors.

Comment

Come back to the issue.

I agree. And when this village amends this section of the code, or ICC changes its mind, I will follow it to the letter. Until then, I enforce this code section, as it is written.

Comment

Working...
                              X