Announcement

Collapse

Plan Review Services

Advanced Code Group (ACG) has been performing plan review services for municipalities, architectural firms, third-party agencies, contractors and code officials for over 10 years with great success and response. We would be happy to assist you with your I-Code plan review needs, whether on a limited or full time basis. Plan review is performed by several experienced inspectors, certified as plan reviewers in different disciplines. We offer expedited plan review services electronically. This has been a well received process that eliminates reprinting of drawings. At the end of plan review, you have the option to accept an electronic stamp on the plans or submit the final, approved drawings for traditional stamping with return via FedEx. Why print, submit then print changes and submit again when this can be done just once?

We will always do our best to work within your budget and allotted timeframe. Feel free to contact our office at 1-877-223-4462 or email us at codes@inspectpa.com for further information or just to discuss your needs.

Thank you,

Jeff Remas
Advanced Code Group
www.InspectPA.com
See more
See less

R311.1 & R311.7.7 2009 nj irc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R311.1 & R311.7.7 2009 nj irc

Good afternoon everyone or should I say evening,

Have a client that we installed guard & handrail combination on the upper landing and stair exiting the house. Once you descend down then you are on a landing which you can exit directly out in to the yard.

From that landing you also have the option of turning left and descending down a couple of risers to another landing at which point you can then turn 90 degrees to the left and descend down I believe 6 may be 7 risers to the driveway see picture below.

Per R311.1 the MOE ends at the landing equal with the yard level. Any additional steps are considered landscaping, (yes/no)

The client wishes not to install a handrail(R311.7.7) on the lower flight of landscape stairs.

My question to all is were do you define per R311.1 the MOE to end and how do you regard the lower stair in the terms of within IRC or not?

As always I thank you in advance - Tom

I would not require anything else. I would recommend a handrail, but when I left you would have an approved installation.

Comment

I also would accept it, with the same recomendation of a handrail at the lower stairs. But if that landing accesses a yard, I believe it would be code compliant. JMHO
      Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in mud, pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it!

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
      You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at
      http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

What TimNY & fatboy says; the required exterior egress shall be positively anchored to the primary structure; beyond bottom landing at grade is not part of the residence. If the ground surface and dimensions comply as a landing; we allow that too.

Others opinions may vary and have it comply as part of the structure.
        Last edited by Francis Vineyard; June 7th, 2011, 19:21. Reason: add names
        ACCESS TO VIRGINIA CODES: 2009& 2012 Virginia Codes

Comment

Agree without further comment.
          Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

Comment

we've gone round and round about "landscaping" which is what this appears to be. However, it appears to be the MOE to the driveway... I'd probably require the handrail.
            (PE)ach
            some days are just that.. :banghd

Comment

Looks is everything.
              Jake

http://www.nwboca.org

This response brought to you by one of the paying members of the Building Code Forum.
              You can join the paying members and support this forum, for a small donation at
              http://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/payments.php

Comment

tbz,

Unless theres an obstacle like an alligator or coy pond preventing you from entering the yard, looks code compliant IMO.

pc1

Comment

Looks like a compliant installation to me.

Comment

If a man could convince me this was a landscaping feature, and not the primary stair from the driveway serving the required exit door for the dwelling, I would allow no handrail, or guardrail, serving the lower stair. What is the approach to the home for an elderly visiting neighbor or caller?

Comment

Job saver and others, no one uses the front door, not even visitors is my understanding, the garage is primary, I know not an MOE, however how you enter mainly is key.

As for wheel chair bound people, you would never come through the front. Not pictured to the right is a 5 riser set of stairs to a landing and then a gentle slope to the double wide door in the rear.

This is how visitors enter, the kids when garage is closed family members and so on because the front is formal not every day use.

Comment

Nice landscaping too :grin:
                        ACCESS TO VIRGINIA CODES: 2009& 2012 Virginia Codes

Comment

Originally posted by Jobsaver View Post
                          If a man could convince me this was a landscaping feature, and not the primary stair from the driveway serving the required exit door for the dwelling, I would allow no handrail, or guardrail, serving the lower stair. What is the approach to the home for an elderly visiting neighbor or caller?
                          The hoveround will traverse the lawn much more easily than the stairway :)

Comment

Originally posted by TimNY View Post
                            The hoveround will traverse the lawn much more easily than the stairway :)
                            Good point Tim. It does not appear by any count that this house will ever be handicap friendly.

Comment

Working...
                            X