1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

2015 IECC - scoping question for insulation at commercial crawlspace

Discussion in 'Commercial Energy Codes' started by George McGerd, Jun 13, 2017.

1. George McGerd

George McGerd Bronze Member

2015 International Energy Conservation Code -

We are renovating a commercial building which has an unheated crawlspace, concrete foundation walls and concrete floor decks. We will be performing IEBC Level 3 Alterations, so it is my understanding that all IECC requirements apply to all areas receiving alterations.

IECC chapter 4 stipulates prescriptive insulation requirements for "floors" and "walls, below grade". The project is situated in zone 4, so the requirements are U-0.076 (or ± R-13.2) for "mass" floors and/or R-7.5ci for "below grade walls".

Question: Does the IECC stipulate that the "floors" above the unheated crawlspace must be insulated or can we insulate the below-grade foundation walls to R-7.5 ci only?

Thanks

2. TJacobs

TJacobs Sawhorse

You can do either one...if you don't insulate the crawl you will need to insulate the floor.