1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Air Handler Shutdown

Discussion in 'Residential Mechanical Codes' started by Michael Brown, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Sawhorse

I am seeing more and more engineers interlocking apartment A/C systems with their local smoke alarms so that the systems are shut off should the smoke detector sound the alarm. I've been looking around and have not been able to find any code references other than the IMC requirement for systems above 2000 cfm. Does anyone out there know where this requirement is coming from?

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Shutting down individual units

Or the big ones??

The smoke alarms in the units??

3. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Sawhorse

Shutting down the small units (600-800 cfm average) in each individual apartment when that apartment's smoke alarm goes off.

4. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

Do they have outside air intakes?

5. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

May not be based upon a code requirement. Could be owners wanting to limit smoke damage within an individual unit.

Would also keep tenants from messing with the smokies since it would shut down the HVAC.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

Have not seen or heard of it.

I wonder how the smoke alarm
    Talks to the a/c?

Seems like there would be a language barrier???

7. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

The smoke alarm manufactures have listed relays available for just such applications. Opens the 24V control wiring to the AHU.

8. cda

cda Sawhorse

Unit stand alone smoke alarms??

Or are you talking a system smoke detector

#8 cda, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  9. chris kennedy

chris kennedy Sawhorse

I believe we are talking interconnected smoke ALARMS in a dwelling unit. Relays are available to accomplish many functions (F/A notification common in multi family) including AC shut down. If no outside air intake I don't see the point but I don't do dwelling units.

10. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Sawhorse

They do not. I was thinking the same thing but I looked back at the drawings and there are none.

11. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Sawhorse

Unit smoke alarms. Not duct mounted.

12. Michael Brown

Michael Brown Sawhorse

I’m thinking that may be it.

13. rgrace

rgrace Sawhorse

Actually, I think it is because of language contained in the 2015 IMC, Section 607.3.1 which added "ceiling radiation dampers" in its requirement to be labeled for use in dynamic systems. As far as I know, there are no ceiling radiation dampers labeled for such use, so this is the alternative.

tmurray likes this.