1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Almost to MCP, need E3 and F3

Discussion in 'Certifications' started by Ty J., Feb 7, 2018.

1. Ty J.

Ty J. Active Member

Have been working towards MCP over the last year and a half, and am almost there. The final two exams that I have are E3 - Commercial Electrical Inspector and F3 - Fire Plans Examiner.

Both of these are a bit out of my wheel house as a building inspector as Washington State L&I does electrical and our FM handles all related to fire.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions on how to start prepping for these two exams? What was the exam content like? So far, I have only relied upon putting my face in the books and reading everyday. Thanks for any input!

2. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

I did my exams on the 09 codes, so things may be different now.

The E3 wasn't that bad as I recall. F3 is one of the two I had to take twice - there were some pretty obscure references to the NFPA books in the questions, and switching your brain to decipher an NFPA code book after you've been staring at an ICC code book takes some mental gymnastics.

Standard stuff here, but: Tab the chapters, get stupid-familiar with the indexes for all the required books, and take the practice exams on the ICC campus website. They're spendy, but were well worth every penny when I went through all this.

Something else I did, with every code book I had (have), was highlight the section headings, and then the exceptions in a different color. Every page of every book. You want to get familiar with a code? Take a highlighter to it and go a page at a time. You'll know where stuff is when you're done with that...

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

twd22285 and Ty J. like this.
  3. twd22285

twd22285 Member

Something else I did, with every code book I had (have), was highlight the section headings, and then the exceptions in a different color. Every page of every book. You want to get familiar with a code? Take a highlighter to it and go a page at a time. You'll know where stuff is when you're done with that...

^^I like this! I'm going to utilize this technique in the future! Thanks JCraver

JCraver likes this.
  4. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Yes, and highlight footnotes in another color......they will nail you as sure as exceptions.........

twd22285 and JCraver like this.
  5. Flexo

Flexo Member

Regarding the Commercial Electrical Inspector Certification, I studied the NEC and used the tests in DeWalt's Electrical Licensing Exam Guide This helped me a more than the ICC online study course.

6. Ty J.

Ty J. Active Member

Update.... It is official. As of last Friday, I have met the prerequisites and am a certified Master Code Professional.

Thanks for those who shared some advice.

JCraver, my250r11 and tmurray like this.
  7. cda

cda Sawhorse

Congrats

You are Bona Fide !!!

Ty J. likes this.
  8. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Welcome to the club

9. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

There is a club? Are there dues? Secret handshake? Group discounts? I have been missing out!

10. cda

cda Sawhorse

You are the President!!!

Call the meeting to order.

11. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Congrats Ty!

Ty J. likes this.