1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Does the wall perimeter get drain tile and gravel? Will it drain to daylight?

2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

One way to ruin a house.

[​IMG]

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The fire truck was parked in my driveway. Most every driveway had a fire truck. That was last Monday. My neighbors had to evacuate until midday Wednesday. Today is Sunday, six days later, and there are still many fire trucks in the area. At the height of the fire there was 272 engines on the streets. DC10s were bombing the hillsides and dozens of Sikorskys were working day and night.

---------------------------------------------------------------VIDEO---------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

The spots are burning embers. It was raining fire. Coyotes were running down the street.

[​IMG]

Ominous looking a few hours before the fire arrived.

[​IMG]

As the fire got close the tankers started to worry me.

[​IMG]

#2403 ICE, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Were they smuggling people back to Mexico?

Hope you make it out unscathed...

5. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Looks like you have a tile roof and stucco walls on your house, hopefully you have fire-dampened vents as well.

6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If you cover your house in ivy, will that make it less likely to burn? Maybe that is what they were going for in the "green building" above...

7. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I think the plant will burn....especially if it dies and dries out. The stucco is ruined and bugs live in it.

8. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The job is in another inspector's area so I am not sure what the plan is. That inspector had requested a drainage plan prior to my inspection but they didn't produce one. The person in charge apparently lacks knowledge regarding construction practices and the plans show a flat lot.

mmmarvel likes this.
  9. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

There's a lot of wood involved with the form-work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan is to reuse the 2"x in the addition. So they lined the inside of the forms with Visqueen.

[​IMG]

I thought that was a great idea....and would have worked had it been 6mil instead of 2mil. They also missed the second top bar.

10. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Those forms and steel work don't look like they are in the California I know, where are the engineers?

11. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The inspection request stated "bathroom remodel". It was the first inspection requested for the project. The only permit is for the bathroom remodel.
    I was met by the couple that own the house and two men that said that they represent the bank that is lending the money for the remodel. I was asked repeatedly for my opinion of the quality of the work.

[​IMG]

The kitchen is gone.

[​IMG]

A wall was removed and a beam installed. Then part of the wall was replaced.

[​IMG]

A window has been installed in a bedroom.

[​IMG]

The window is behind the OSB. Notice the lean at the door. The studs are leaning as well.

[​IMG]

So there is a permit for a bathroom remodel and that's it. The kitchen is gone....bedroom closets have been created....a bearing wall has been removed with a beam installed to replace the wall....much of the exterior cladding has been removed and the entire house has been rewired. All of that and the two guys from the bank are concerned about the quality of the work.

I made it clear to them that quality is not my responsibility and I do not render opinions.

#2411 ICE, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  12. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

ICE- Is it common out there for contractors to reuse their form boards in the construction? Or to use 2x material as forms in general? I realize you very rarely ever show us any "good" work, but I just can't get around the idea of those forms. 'Round here the locals would get a great big good belly laugh at a guy who tried something like that.

Last time I rented forms I think they were ~$3.00/foot. Maybe your prices out there are a lot higher?

Msradell likes this.
  13. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Wonder what the bankers paid for, labor? Any receipts?

14. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

2"x forms are the norm around here. We don't build basements so Simplex forms aren't used here. Reuse of the forms in the construction does happen. Exposure to the wet concrete isn't a problem and as long as the boards were not coated with diesel, I can't think of a reason to say no. Shirley you folks will correct me if I am missing something.

JCraver and my250r11 like this.
  15. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

It's that way around here, I can't even think of the last time I saw 2x used for forms. Contractors if the rent forms or a few of the larger ones have their own. This applies to both residential work commercial work.

16. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

I wouldn't be surprised if the next time you went there the taper was hanging from that register in the ceiling....