1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The inspection was for an electrical service upgrade. The panel is in the backyard. The workman asked me if I was okay with loose dogs. I said that depends on the dogs. It was spaniels. Shlt covered spaniels. While I was fending off one, the other pissed on my foot.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure what the white stuff is......could be a special type of mold.

Msradell likes this.
  2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

linnrg likes this.
  3. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

Looks like they mugged a toy of some kind or tore a pillow or furniture apart, it looks like stuffing to me.

4. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

Do you have a photo from the inside? I'm wondering at what point they figured out the beam was going to protrude out the roof. A nice little gable would cover it nicely, but they probably could have buried it with a little more work...Looks like a "not my job" decision.

Msradell and my250r11 like this.
  5. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

[​IMG]

Maybe there setting it up for a clay roof?:rolleyes:

tmurray and my250r11 like this.
  6. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

There are institutions that everyday people must deal with. Library. DMV. Hospital. Police and Firemen. Postal Service. Then there's the rest of life with family, coworkers, waitresses, store clerks, dry cleaner and that person walking their dog. During each interaction with the aforementioned, most people can be treated as genuine. Now enter the Building Dept. Zone. Lying is de rigueur. Most people don't habitually lie because they embarrass themselves but more importantly they prefer to think that telling the truth is expected of you too. So why is it that when in the BDZ lies roll past lips like a mint julep or ice cream on chocolate cake or a strawberry tart?

7. Pcinspector1

[​IMG]Some of us are this?

8. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Solar company did a service upgrade....or as they like to call it, an MPU.

[​IMG]

My guess is that they poured a bunch of it in the gap.

[​IMG]

9. MtnArch

MtnArch Sawhorse

MPU ... "Mostly Pucked Up"?

my250r11 and steveray like this.
  10. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

I have roofing contractors that do about the same.:mad:

11. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I wonder what that stuff is. I didn't get close enough to touch it. The guy that meets me never knows much about anything.

12. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

This one could have been tragic. The job is a foyer / grand entry. Killer front door if metal is your thing. That and an addition to a storage room of about 150 sqft. The house is 4500 sqft with a family. I don't know how many make a family but I met mom and son while dad walked the dog. A nice home.

These panels are in the storage room and I found them while performing a final inspection. It was my first time there and I was concerned that I would get chewed out for being an hour early. Well not to worry, the lady was okay with it and I found the husband a few blocks away as I left the scene of the crime.

These panels have been dangerous for several months. The lady said that her architect suggested an inspection so as to "find out what's not done". Lucky me....she was in a hurry cleaning and preparing for a throng celebrating Thanksgiving at her home. I showed her that it is deadly with a tester that has lights and sounds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet again I was told that the covers were only open today and because I was early I got there before they had a chance to close them. They couldn't fit covers because of the drywall and look at the pile of dust.

[​IMG]

There was no need to lie.

#2432 ICE, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  13. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

can you say fire hazzard?

14. FLSTF01

FLSTF01 Sawhorse

It's a little hard to tell in the picture, but in the sub panel, the 20 amp cheater breaker on the bottom left, second from the bottom, seems to have both the red and black conductors of a shared neutral circuit connected to it. This would allow 40 amps total to return on the shared neutral.

I also don't see a separate equipment grounding conductor going to the ground bar of the sub panel. Is there a conduit nipple connecting the two panels that serves to bond the two cabinets together?

Of course those are just a few of the obvious issues. It never ceases to amaze me how bad unsafe some installations can be.

15. Pcinspector1

Would be a bit alarmed about the two wires under one lug, wires being different size, wiring being dissimilar metals ..ooh and the correct torque requirement can't be correct. This would never pass in Santa Ana!

16. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The panels are existing. It was an accident that I saw them without covers. There’s a service panel somewhere. I wonder how bad this can all become. The owner claims that everything has been permitted and approved. I think that the house was rewired. They are probably not up for spending thousands more.

I’ll make a supervisor aware and recommend taking action.

17. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The job is a PEX re-pipe. Cutting open the walls and ceiling exposes stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tub plumber hacked the frame .... the re-pipe plumber chose a bad location for more holes.

[​IMG]

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that threaded waste fittings must remain accessible. But ya know, that may be me being.....well me.....just as wrong as can be.

[​IMG]

In the past I have run into threaded fittings that were glued. One guy that did that said he too understood that threaded fittings shall remain accessible and he couldn't do that. There was no way to install glued fittings.

#2437 ICE, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  18. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

A contractor did this.

[​IMG]

Flipper met me for the inspection. He wanted me to explain what was wrong....which I did. All of the windows are like this....sliders too.

[​IMG]

PL400

[​IMG]

You could toss that house off a cliff and the windows ain't coming out.

19. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

Well, the contract said "install new windows", that's what the contractor did!

20. MtnArch

MtnArch Sawhorse

"It's the way I've always done it!"

my250r11 likes this.