1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The average home owner isn’t capable of changing main breakers. Apparently your neighbor knows a thing or two about electrical work. Here’s hoping he doesn’t burn down the house.

2. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

I think a roofing nail is listed for 2 #12 conductors......

mark handler likes this.
  3. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

Are some of those walls in #2661 running at a diagonal, or are they just way out of level?

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I too wondered about that. Walls 6, 7 and 8 are different than the first five. I took the picture from my ride and didn’t get a side view. I tried to return and drop a violation notice but it’s a gated community and now my gate code has ceased to function. Oh well, there are other jobs going on in the neighborhood and I’ll get in soon or later. By the look of it, too late may have come and gone.

#2664 ICE, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  5. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

I thought the same thing when I 1st looked at it but looking at it again it looks like the same amount of the block in the layer above shows for each layer. Maybe it's because of shadows or dampness in the blocks?

6. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I've not seen this type of wall before. It looks like interlocking blocks of concrete. Shirley there must be more to the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tall and vertical.

[​IMG]

#2666 ICE, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  7. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

We have those all over the place around here in Kentucky. Almost any retaining wall associated with a Interstate has that type of wall. I have yet to see 1 of them bulging or leaning at all so they must be very stable.

Here's a website talking about their use: http://www.trulinecivil.com/projects/?product_id=30

ICE likes this.
  8. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The office called and asked me to swing by this house and drop a stop work due to no permit. They're gonna need a lot more than a permit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The job is an addition of a dwelling unit. It will be attached to the existing dwelling. An inspector wrote a correction to install a "construction fence", provide a portable toilet, and implement BMPs per the Health and Safety Code. BMPs are best management practices. That includes sandbags. Well they almost did all of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of the construction is at the right of the dwelling and the fence stops at each side of the driveway. Obviously they have not been given those corrections before now. I'm not convinced that they should have gotten the corrections this time. But hey now, the inspector that wrote the correction has way more experience that myself.

[​IMG]

I like the toilet...around 10:30 the third cup of coffee is looking for a new home. Then I can get down to the business of inspecting. I noticed the crooked form work from my truck but I stopped for the toilet. So the garage wall will be straight because they had a blue room.

[​IMG]

#2669 ICE, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  10. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I can now say I have seen every possible mistake on a service upgrade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2670 ICE, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  11. Norcal

Norcal Registered User

That is scary! Considering the fact there is no overcurrent protection on the SE conductors it's a recipe for disaster, & most panels are be used for either OH & UG service.

The panel is now in my opinion scrap metal there is no proper repair, only replacement since turning it to the proper orientation still won't fix it because of the hack shown in the photo.

12. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Is the panel upside down or is it the picture?

13. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Mark, panel is upside down, green wire at the top right exiting upside down panel.

SE, jacket has been abused.

Also look there's the torque settings listed in the back of the panel.

I think moisture can enter through the top at the knock-out.

14. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

I saw the damage, i did not know if picture was flipped or if panel is upside down.

15. Norcal

Norcal Registered User

The panel is upside down, the rain shields have been rendered useless making the NEMA type 3R panel into a handy hacked NEMA type 1 enclosure installed outdoors.

16. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The contractor used 3X6 plate for the exterior. He ripped 3x6 down to 3x4 for the interior walls. I am not concerned with the grade of the lumber being altered.

The lumber has been pressure treated. The best I ever see when it comes to penetration of the preservative is 1/4”. That is why the code requires that cut ends of PT be painted with preservative.

In this case you can see that the preservative appears to be superficial and the cut edge has no treatment at all. This occurs at interior walls only. Painting the bare wood with preservative is not an option due to the long term odor. Trust me on that. So indoors and not subject to water…..what do you think.
    As a side note, the lack of any apparent penetration of preservative causes me to wonder if this sampling is suspect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that pressure treated wood is worthless, every variant, and there have been several, has had it's problems, I refuse to use it and use clear heart redwood, foundation grade is no-longer milled and it's a shame to use beautiful clear heart redwood when nobody will ever see it. You are right, just painting perservative on the ends or sides is useless, water sill seep in and rot it out.

18. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

I do remember your Cuprinol or whatever it was story...Field treatment just made it into our code last year....Can they slip plastic under it?

3. Sills and sleepers on a concrete or masonry slab that is
    in direct contact with the ground unless separated from
    such slab by an impervious moisture barrier.

19. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

If is an interior plate does not need to be treated, IMO

ICE likes this.
  20. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Code would allow untreated lumber if there is an impervious moisture barrier between the slab and wood. In this case there is a treated side against the concrete and I have concluded that code does not require the other sides to be treated as would be the case if a moisture barrier was installed. R317.1(3)

Besides that, termites gotta eat too.

#2680 ICE, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    my250r11 and Pcinspector1 like this.