1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cda

cda Sawhorse

Poor Oakland

In the news again. Maybe they should let another city take them over

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/06/12/oakland-jogger-trashes-homeless-mans-camp-lake-merritt-video/694005002/

2. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

It does look like junk, but I'm sure the guy will be arrested for throwing it into the lake. I've built a lot in Oakland, even apartments that rented for under $100 a month in the 50s and 60s, but nothing with codes and regulations like they have now.

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

A couple times each year I will be called out for a plumbing inspection where the pipe is not glued.

[​IMG]

5. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

2/0 wire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The contractor kept referring to the guy that did this as his electrician.

When I got to the closet he told me that his electrician assured him that this is legal as long as they agree to not use the closet.

There's a kitchen and two bathroom remodel going on. I wrote 29 corrections and thought of two more while looking at the pictures. The so-called electrician won’t be back.

[​IMG]

Another inspector wrote a correction to expose the underfloor plumbing that was installed and covered without inspection. So they removed the floor sheathing. The plumbing is smothered in concrete. The rest of the house is raised floor framing.

[​IMG]

#2805 ICE, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  6. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The inspection was for windows. I knocked on the door and nobody but a pack of dogs answered. I rang the doorbell. Still nothing. I started to write a slip when the doorbell said, "Can I help you?" I introduced myself. The doorbell said, "Hold on, I'll call my husband". Three minutes later the doorbell barked to life with, "I have been trying to call your office to find out when you will be there. I'm only twenty minutes away. I'll leave right now."
    The barker said that I can see the windows from the outside If I will just go in the back yard. So I did that.

[​IMG]

I wrote a correction or two. I put it at the front door. I was ten feet away when the doorbell said, "Hey! I'm still here. What happened"?
    The doorbell has an eye as well as a mouth.
    I started with there is no flashing when the doorbell cut me off........
    "Not the window, the framing is what you are inspecting".

Perhaps I'm selfish but I just didn't want to explain corrections to an angry doorbell.

[​IMG]

#2806 ICE, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  7. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The permit states "Replace the forced air furnace located in the garage". This is the front door.

[​IMG][

This is the furnace:

[​IMG]

8. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

It has looked like this for a long time. There is a building permit from early 2016 for a room addition. I was there for a requested framing inspection.

[​IMG]

At first glance the place looks vacant. But as soon as you enter through the hole for the front door you find the original house.

[​IMG]

The room addition enveloped the entire original house.

[​IMG]

This pile of debris has been there for two years......and nobody has complained. I was here for the first and only time about eight months ago. I told them to clean their site then. There is no excuse. I'm convinced that they ran out of money and can't finish the construction. The latest inspection request was an effort to keep the permits alive. I'm in no rush to expire the permits but there is no excusing the trash pile.

[​IMG]

#2808 ICE, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Glenn likes this.
  9. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

[​IMG]

I had no part in this but gosh I felt sad.

R311.3.2 Floor elevations for other exterior doors.

Doors other than the required egress door shall be provided with landings or floors not more than 73/4 inches (196 mm) below the top of the threshold.

Exception: A top landing is not required where a stairway of not more than two risers is located on the exterior side of the door, provided that the door does not swing over the stairway.

Glenn likes this.
  10. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The dwelling burned. The inside was gutted. I was there six months ago for a framing inspection. I did not go back because the address is in another inspectors area. I was there today for the final inspection.

The island has two receptacles. One at each end under a counter that protrudes 13". Six inches being the limit, I wrote a correction. The contractor already had an inspection the day before and had a few corrections so he was upset that I was writing more corrections. He was adamant that the entire island counter was existing. It survived the fire unscathed. I told him that I was in this house long ago and I know that's not the case. He would not give up. I finally said existing or not you have a correction to deal with. The nerve of some people.

[​IMG]

11. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

:mad::mad::mad:, so keep doing it wrong until its for you I hate that. Construction industry changes all the time. Don't believe any of us do things the same as we did 30 years ago, I know I don't. It's hard to keep up with the new materials, fasteners, systems etc.!!!

tmurray likes this.
  12. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Somebody thought that I would scurry up that ladder. And that's asphalt shingles with air temp. of 116°. The ladder is probably too hot to touch. The bed cover on my truck could fry pork chops and eggs.

On a calm, soothing, winter day you're gonna need a crane to show me the top roof of that house.

[​IMG]

#2812 ICE, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  13. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

You see why none of our inspectors are allowed to climb, were I your CBO I'd fire you and send yout to work for MH, you'd spend the rest of your working life measuring the heights of handicap signs.

14. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

I'll take a stab at it.
    1) It's a bearing wall, based on clue from the header to the right, and direction of tape on ceiling.
    2) There used to be a wall across this opening, based on clue of marking on floor of old plate.
    3) There used to be a door to this room on the right from the hallway, based on clue from stud height and drywall above infill studs.
    4) The wide header...hmmm...that is weird. I'm going to say that it was a pocket door to the hallway.
    Thanks for the game, did I win! ha!

15. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The contractor is a Mechanical contractor (C-20). The job is a new furnace, a/c and electrical service upgrade.
    The panel is 4' 4" from the pool. The minimum requirement is 5’. There was a flush mount panel located at the same spot previously. The enclosure is mounted over a hole in the wall. I requested that a licensed Electrical contractor take out the electrical permit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Never saw a pool so close to a house. Would you make them bond the rain gutter and window frame to the pool bonding system now or only when the pool or rain gutter or window is new?

17. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

It would be a hard sell to ask for bonding the windows, weep screed, and gutter after the fact. The new service panel will be relocated.

18. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

19. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Could somebody please tell us what is wrong here? A code section would be great.

[​IMG]

20. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The contractor told the lady that this might be a problem. "Let's see what happens with the inspector".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]