1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Same pool, different clamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

t&p to a drain
    washer to piping that does not have a trap (is that some form of an
    extension threaded pipe drainage?) possible undersize of a vent.
    Where does the condensate pump discharge to? Outlet is not
    GFCI.

Appliances are elevated, so must be a garage. Do you require
    the other appliances to be elevated as well (I see gas piping, so
    I assume gas dryer). We have had some differing opinions about
    that.

rogerpa likes this.
  3. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Looks like a basement to me.
    The P&T relief valve does not comply with IRC P2803.6.1:
    1. Not to be connected to drainage system
    2. Discharge through a air gap
    7. Discharge in a termination point that is readily observable
    8. Not be trapped

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I suppose the code would support raising a gas clothes dryer. I don't enforce it that way. I'll ask around and see what other inspectors are doing. My feeling is that I can approve what I inspect and the laundry equip is not part of that. Well heck...maybe it is....part of that I mean. I'll find out....if I don't forget. What was I talking about just now?

Garage doors work like an explosion vent. I had a case where a father and son turned the two car garage into a spray booth. By the look of the laundry sink, I think it lasted a long time. But one day it blew up. Junior had just stepped out the man door when it went. The door flattened him and the blast knocked the walls off the footing. When they built it back I made them demo the laundry sink. They had been draining paint and who knows what for years. Funny thing is that the neighbors didn't complain and I found over-spray in a lot of spots.

5. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Some jurisdictions accept a document in lieu of inspecting smoke and CO alarms. And by the way, they are not detectors.....don't say smoke detector or Co detector. A detector isn't going to wake you up. Well anyway, I have seen a few of the documents stapled to a job card like I will inspect whatever and not need to go inside. I have said no because I detected dishonesty and found no alarms. I just wanted to use the word detected in a sentence. I would never accept a document. I've even see them with a Notary seal. It's only been a handful of times and each time there was no detectors....or alarms either.

Today was a good example of the level of competence found in the solar industry. The guy handed me this with all the confidence in the world that I would just move on.

[​IMG]

6. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Tiger:

So the solar contractors are giving the owners these forms telling their customers to fill them out and attach them to the permit cards to avoid liability?

7. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Form looks super official as the first word is missing the first letter. Starts off well....

Aside from the fact that this should never be accepted, the form documents a non-compliant installation - 3 floors yet only 2 alarms?

mark handler and my250r11 like this.
  8. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My thoughts exactly!

my250r11 likes this.
  9. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The plan was to remove the screw to show me that the pipe is filled with water. He said that it's just a vent so a dab of glue will fix it.

[​IMG]

10. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Now that's a rodent problem.

[​IMG]

11. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

A lot of mistakes in a small space. The worst of which was not bringing along a neutral conductor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The owner said that the contractor chose this spot to place the unit because there was a plumbing vent close by.

[​IMG]

I'm not so sure that the label behind the disconnect is all that important but the panel that it is mounted to is meant to come off for access to the innards.

[​IMG]

Right down to the screw for the dead front. I had to use my pliers to remove it and it never cinches up because it's a sheet metal screw in a machine screw application.

[​IMG]

The contractor is a large outfit. They have salespeople at Costco. An affiliation with a big box store is a red flag. As soon as the owner says that ***** or **** ***** is the contractor I know that a recent parolee might have been doing the work. You know, there's training available in the penal system. Ok so I exaggerate. I doubt that many are parolee's....work release is more likely.

It was 105° in the shade and hotter on that roof. I should have not gone up there....nope, I should have said, "The disconnect is located in the wrong spot. Move it and call for inspection".

Next time out, when I got to the top of the ladder it should have been, "You can't use a plumbing vent for a condensate disposal. Do that over and call for inspection".

The next time out it could have been, "That's the wrong screw for the dead front"....and on it goes.

Perhaps that would teach them to not send inexperienced workers to do the work. But obviously I can't do that so I write a dozen stupid corrections. They can't even install a lock ring correctly.

Yes I know that it's my job and I am paid to do this. So who am I to complain? The issue for me is the knowledge that slipshod work passes inspection in most cases. That's not because the work was done correctly. It is because the inspector didn't know or didn't look or didn't care.

I don't make such a statement lightly. I have first hand experience. I have witnessed that many times. It is getting worse.

If you ever find Snap-On pliers like that in the picture, I'll trade too many dollars for those pliers.

#2831 ICE, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  12. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Second unit?

13. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Not sure as I didn't get that close. Of course the rules have been watered down to accommodate converted garages so if it is a second unit a permit will fix that.

14. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

2013? codes
    Spelling

yes the forms are given to the owners. Yes there is liability.

15. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Even with the CA ADU Guidelines, there is still setback requirements, not met. Lateral, Stair construction, stairs in "fire in rated areas", fire rating of construction and openings, zoning. some requirements are not exempt.

16. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

All that and you haven't been inside. If the sheet metal roof is any indication, there's bound to be issues.

17. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

You can see issues...

18. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

This is a service entrance conduit. I asked the workman to back off the lock ring in order to see if there was an intact KO. There is not but I did see that the lock ring that is listed for grounding does not penetrate the paint.

It was tight and it took a hammer and screw driver to turn it.

I am considering whether to allow these for grounding in the future.

[​IMG]

19. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

Do-it-yourselfers be warned

Permit pulled for new gas line to service gas cooktop. Downdraft vent has been “capped” and new exhaust run via the microwave unit.

AE6B9198-ECF3-458D-B263-F2D040B7ECC1.jpeg

Microwave is set to recirculate air, so no air is being forced through the duct seen below. Although, with duck tape that has fallen off, who knows. Plot thickens, wondering where this duct goes...

AC2E2E87-E5E7-4BD6-A34A-7DEB56D924C5.jpeg

....to the garage, above the workbench.

980DE700-EF6F-4270-BCE1-05920D397E9E.jpeg

Yeah... your going to need to pull another permit and provide a properly exhausted kitchen fan. Thanks

ICE and my250r11 like this.
  20. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If this was done in a fashion that mimics the Roofing Institute's installation guide, the gap would not be so wide...the cut lines would not be parallel....the gap would be wider at the bottom than it is at the top by about two inches. And it might not be quite so ugly. However, does it meet the intent of the code? Could I pass this work? Would you even if you could?