1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An average day

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by ICE, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

I don't disagree that it could happen, or even has happened. I'm just saying that I don't think that's what the code means, and that if it does, it's bad code. Lots of things could happen. Adding the "1 in a millions" to the code is bad for everyone.

And I'm still not going to make Grandma move her freezer. :)

2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

This is the drain for a clothes washer that is located in a detached garage.

[​IMG]

Coming out of the garage:

[​IMG]

Entering the house:

[​IMG]

I was there to inspect an electric service upgrade. I was tempted to tell the owner that ABS can't be exposed to the Sun.

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The job is a TI changing from medical offices to business offices. The inspection request stated "T-Bar". That means the grid and everything that is above the grid such as electrical, duct and plumbing.

The tiles are installed so I can't do an inspection. When I asked why the tiles were installed I was told they had to do that in order to keep the grid from distorting. Apparently, the tiles stiffen things up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next two pictures are from an area where new T-Bar was not installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

PC, somebody better call our Tiger, I hear he's booking vibrator inspections as we speak, of course Mark Handler is salvating at the prospect of condemning all grab bars he's currently passing to comply with the 18" turnup.

5. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Awh...conarbs having a good day!

I'd rather to be an Hawaiian Tropic bikini inspector myself. Low pay but good benefits, I think.

6. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

They say some people work for money, others work for power, I'll take the money myself.

7. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The permit is an electrical service upgrade. There was plenty wrong at the first inspection. The first picture is the water valve at the main line. The contractor did not bond at the main.. There was only one ground rod and the enclosure was mounted over a hole in the stucco with cable leaving the back. Other mistakes resulted in about eight corrections.

[​IMG]

An improvement:

[​IMG]

Here is the GEC secured to the front wall:

[​IMG]

Here's the drywall screws that he used to secure the GEC:

[​IMG]

The owner mentioned that the contractor was quite angry with the first list of corrections and he lives far away. Poor guy needs to tune up his act if he's gonna take it on the road.

8. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

These are parking-lot light pole foundations. The hole is 8' deep and there's another 3' of 24" diameter tube. The plan is to fill the hole and tube with concrete.....then cut the wires that suspend the re-bar cage. Now the anchor bolts will be pushed into the wet concrete. The reason fof this is that the template that holds the anchor bolts pretty much covers the hole. The anchor bolts are 48" long and 1.25" diameter. The only plans available were on an ipad screen. No stamp. The anchor bolts in the ipad plan are 12" long with unknown diameter.

The anchor bolts might be left over from a CalTrans job. I think that I'll say yes and then show up for the pour.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got through to them:

[​IMG]

#2908 ICE, Aug 13, 2018 at 9:25 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 8:46 PM
  9. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

Take a video and post it if you can that should be amusing

10. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

11. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Another crap strap job. The last time that I said no to this material, I was overruled. The manager that overruled me is gone so I took another shot at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Flex duct is soooo abused around here too....We usually make them provide the manufacturers instructions as that is all we can go by. I have seen some that are pretty good (steer towards the SMACNA stuff in IMC commentary)...and some that don't say much at all.

13. Pcinspector1

I've never seen flex duct split like that before, not sure that's allowed and would have a concern that the duct is over spanned? And then there's the reduced air flow due to the strapppin!

Does the energy code require the PEX to be insulated or is there a frost warning tonight?

14. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Do you make them have ground bars even it they use the metal water pipe as ground?

15. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

E3608.1.1.2 Installation. Continuity of the grounding
    path or the bonding connection to interior piping shall
    not rely on water meters, filtering devices and similar
    equipment. A metal underground water pipe shall be
    supplemented by an additional electrode
    of a type specified
    in Sections E3608.1.2 through E3608.1.6.

Pcinspector1 likes this.
  16. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

This was the first inspection. The job is a bathroom under a patio cover associated with a swimming pool. The panel is not made to be embedded in plaster so I said no. I explained, several times, that a cabinet that fits between the studs or a cabinet that is installed after the stucco is the way to go.

[​IMG]

That's not what they heard. I gave the next inspection to another inspector. That inspector has been there before and did in fact, approve the rough electrical. I got a picture on my phone from that inspector because the contractor insists that I told him to do it this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was never mentioned. I explained the situation to two workers and then the hefe when he showed up. How they got this from what I told them escapes me.....I think that I am done explaining stuff to this bunch.

#2916 ICE, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM
  17. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

Must rain from the ground up there.... lmao

tmurray likes this.
  18. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Picture upside down?

19. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

The first pic seems the trees are right, but their flashing, if you can call it that is wrong

20. Pcinspector1

Instead of putting their name on it and the ASTM crap, they should put a picture on the tape showing how to install it!

The tape doesn't have much stick-em for moisture protection.

Looked like a pretty day in CA!, no smoke.

Msradell likes this.