1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any fire rated CSST?

Discussion in 'Residential Fire Codes' started by EBradley, Apr 9, 2018.

1. EBradley

EBradley New Member

I haven't currently found any specs stating there are. I have a duplex in which both lines start in the same unit. One CSST line runs into the other unit. (404.3) in the 2015 IFC says that a line must stay in the unit it's in. I was curious if there were any ways to navigate around that?

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Not sure if IFC applies in many ways.

Will you give the section you are looking at.

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

No fire rated csst

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

Existing or new build???

6. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

I think he meant IFGC
    404.3 Prohibited locations.
    Piping shall not be installed in or through a ducted supply, return or exhaust, or a clothes chute, chimney or gas vent, dumbwaiter or elevator shaft. Piping installed downstream of the point of delivery shall not extend through any townhouse unit other than the unit served by such piping.

A duplex is not defined in the code.
    You have a building that has one or two dwelling units in it.
    BUILDING. Building shall mean any one- and two-family dwelling or portion thereof, including townhouses, that is used, or designed or intended to be used for human habitation, for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes, or any combination thereof, and shall include accessory structures thereto

A townhouse is
    TOWNHOUSE. A single-family dwelling unit constructed in a group of three or more attached units in which each unit extends from foundation to roof and with a yard or public way on at least two sides.

Unless there is 3 or more units then 404.3 does not apply.

cda likes this.
  7. cda

cda Sawhorse

Kind of thought that

8. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

Presumably this "duplex" is on a single parcel; in other words there are no property line dividing the units?

Even if both units are under same ownership on one parcel; when you say both lines start in the same unit does this mean there's one meter feeding each unit with CSST?

Should there be separate gas meters that serve each unit then there would be a concern during servicing or repairs an assumption would be made that the gas is turn off to the line in question when if fact it would not.