1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Attention code book collectors!

Discussion in 'Classified Section' started by Glenn, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Glenn

Glenn Corporate Supporter
    Staff Member

I know there has to be more people that collect old code books. I'm seriously so disappointed to see such little response. I was certain this was the site to connect me to my fellow collectors.

2. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Glen, one thing is the codes books are typically paid for and owned by the Municipality, I know very few contractors that even own a code book and the few that do, typically are electricians studying for their masters. Some Muni's have to declare them as surplus before you can remove them from the building.

But when I'm out and about a flees I'll look for you.:)

3. Glenn

Staff Member

Thanks! I collect other antiques too, and I have never once been able to find one that way, but I hope you have better luck than me. I'm bidding on a 1935 North Caroline code book right now. 2 hours left...hope I win. I don't spend more than $20 or so, but I have a lot of good stuff to trade!!

jar546 likes this.
  4. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Oh you "kids", I have a 50 year collection dating back to 1900 City of LA, all UBC (they are available on a CD too, ask ICC). Check with AIA chapters as to retiring architects and engineers. Also have NY, St Louis, Boston and others (smiling). Lots of early elect, plumbing, fire and steel manuals. Been a hobby and great in court.

Glenn likes this.
  5. Glenn

Staff Member

Did you find any duplicates?

6. RJJ

RJJ Platinum Member

Just got rid of some after a flood in my basement! BOCO 93, 87 and a few others. 99 NFPA,

7. BayPointArchitect

You are not the only one interested in vintage code books. But I do not have any duplicates for bartering. If someone has an original 1927 UBC or 1929 hard copy of any state building code, I would pay for that. No bartering required.

Glenn likes this.
  8. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Pre 27' codes too?

Glenn likes this.
  9. Glenn

Staff Member

Well glad to know I'm not the only weirdo. I do wish to find someone to trade with. So many of my duplicates were gifted to me from a mentor, so selling them doesn't feel right, nor does it build my collection. I too would buy an original 1927. My reprint is such a cheat!!

10. Glenn

Staff Member

I have a 1908 Baltimore building code. The revised edition created after the massive Baltimore fire. That one is my prize piece, and I had to pay handsomely for it.

#30 Glenn, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  11. Glenn

Staff Member

Picked up a 1990 Denver Building Code (loose leaf) at a used book store. Darn...turns out I already had it. So...another duplicate available.
    PEOPLE! TRADE WITH ME!! I have good stuff (see list above)
    Of course... I have found NO ONE to trade with. But I have found ones for sale that I want. So...I guess I will have to use the all mighty dollar. If you would like to PURCHASE any of the books I have listed above, let me know. Then I will use those funds to buy other ones on Ebay and honor the mentor/friend who gave me his collection.

reeeeeeeealy would rather trade with a fellow code nerd... So much more personal and we both get bigger collections.