1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Building Designer (Unlicensed) - "forum"

Discussion in 'Building Designers' started by RickAstoria, Oct 26, 2009.

1. MyDream

MyDream Member

2. MyDream

MyDream Member

Can you give a reason why you feel this way I am looking for any weaknesses so I can work them out. Check lists are what every architect and building designer or any designer will use to get there floor plans right. They did in the last firm that I worked at. Without them you would have to memorize every thing that should go on a floorplan, what happens if the code changes and you aren't using code checklists you can miss a code.

Below is the Florida law about building designers

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0400-0499/0481/Sections/0481.229.html

3. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

Before being a building inspector I was a designer and operated as the owners representative and third party building code inspection for single family dwellings. I have never used a code checklist in design. The most important thing I've found is the ability to understand what your customer wants, not what they are telling you they want. Then good plans and specs and respect for trades to have a good working relationship with them. The whole thing is way more about people than it is about memorizing codes and standards.

4. MyDream

MyDream Member

The building code checklist is for making the building planning summary and all of the various information needed from the code book that must be present on the plans as well as construction instructions from the code book about masonry or stud walls also known as notes. Anyways, information on glazing, doors/windows, occupancy classification, etc must be presented on plans. If you use a guideline when preparing your plans it will help in making the review time shorter. Making the task of getting the building permit a breeze instead of expecting the structural engineer to do it. I want to be professional, I want to be a master, I want to be able to get an engineer to be impressed with my hard work and fine craftsmanship. I need that engineer to look at me and say this guy knows the codes has it on the plans effectively. Has details that can hold up to his scrutiny giving me his trust and guidance when needed.

Getting the clients wants and needs are the apart of the program( qualitative and quantitative research specifically) in the pre-design phase before the actual design takes place and I have my ways of getting that from the client. As a designer you must be a liaison between the client and what they want, you must be a swifter that takes in the clients program and swift out a end product that will awe and amaze the client. You should be able to give 3d visuals of the design with animations that will shock and awe a client into falling in love with what he/she and the designer himself have worked so hard to create.

5. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

"As a designer you must be a liaison between the client and what they want, you must be a swifter that takes in the clients program and swift out a end product that will awe and amaze the client. You should be able to give 3d visuals of the design with animations that will shock and awe a client into falling in love with what he/she and the designer himself have worked so hard to create.".

Sounds like the TV show 'Property Brothers'. LOL

6. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

By checklist are you talking about the construction notes that are physically on the plans or a checklist that is used internally for the design process only?

7. MyDream

MyDream Member

tmurray, there are a lot of different checklists that people use for different things. One architecture offices' list may be different from another's and serve different purposes. The list that I am referring to is a plan review check list that goes over what codes would be on a set of working drawings in order for it to pass review from the building department instead of relining on the engineer to do all the work, I want to have a level of professionalism that will greatly benefit my clients and my peers who work with me and around me. One note is: CONCRETE MASONRY UNITS (CMU) SHALL BE HOLLOW UNIT MASONRY IN ACCORDANCE WITH ASTM C-90 AND SHALL HAVE A MINIMUM F;M OF 1500 P.S.I. This is a typical note on a set of working drawing for a masonry wall. Note came from the
    FBC 2014
    SECTION 2103 MASONRY CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS

2103.1 Concrete masonry units.

My check list will make sure that I do not miss a note like this, which could make me seem like I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

8. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Much as it pains me, there is always room and possible success for those with talent, ambition, business sense and communication skills. You may be that person or not.
    Two of my former students are getting buy and putting out a professional appearing product. Have you considered aligning yourself with a design/build contractor?
    With the right GC it could be mutually lucrative and you might gain E&O protection.

9. MyDream

MyDream Member

I found out quite a few things sense the last time I have been on this forum especially when it comes to the codes. I have been thinking about working with builders a lot lately and I feel confident. Thanks for you response.

10. MyDream

MyDream Member

Also I am having a code of ethics problem for what ever engineer winds up stamping my working drawings "plan stamping". I am working on a solution to this problem and it seems like I made have found a solution:

NSPE Code of Ethics for Engineers 2c-

Engineers may accept assignments and assume responsibility for coordination of an entire project and sign and seal the engineering documents for the entire project, provided that each technical segment is signed and sealed only by the qualified engineers who prepared the segment.

So, in order to protect my engineer and to protect myself I will complete the plans and specifications which is not illegal to be done by someone who is not an architect, and from there I will have an engineer review and make redlines on what needs to be changed and created a set of engineering drawings, which will be signed and sealed by the professional who will then be able to assume responsibility for coordination of the entire project, but only seal what he created and assume responsibility of the entire project. Only one problem do all the plans have to be sealed in order for them to receive permit?