1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Code Update

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by Ryanwood, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Ryanwood

Ryanwood New Member

HI guys,
    I'm a little lost on how IRC code releases work. I know they are updated every three years and I'm currently using IRC 2012, but IRC 2015 is going into effect in my state (VA) September 3rd. So do I have three years to still use the 2012 version, or do I have to start using 2015?

2. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Can't help you with VA requirements, my state does not have a state adopted code, each municipality can adopt a code if they choose too.

Maybe Francis can help you out.

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

Normally once a newer version is adopted,

That is the law of the land till anotherversion is adopted

JBI likes this.
  4. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

The planned final adoption date is September 4, 2018
    http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/images/SBC/FinalRegulation_BHCDMemo_4_12_18.pdf

The applicant for a permit during such one-year period (after the 2015 effective date: 9/04/2018) shall be permitted to choose whether to comply with the provisions of 2015 or the provisions of the 2012 Virginia Construction Code (USBC).

Copy of the Final Draft:
    http://register.dls.virginia.gov/vol34/iss18/v34i18.pdf

#4 Francis Vineyard, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    JBI, my250r11 and fatboy like this.
  5. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

Our state usually give 6 months of either form adoption Date.

JBI likes this.
  6. Ryanwood

Ryanwood New Member

Thank you guys for your comments. It helped me tremendously

Francis Vineyard and JBI like this.