1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Contractors material & certificate for underground piping?

Discussion in 'Commercial Fire Codes' started by mtlogcabin, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Does anybody require this be filled out and if so why.
    2010 NFPA 10.10 figure 24:10.10
    We verify the pipe and thrust blocking of the installation prior to back fill, the flush test, hydro-static test and our public works operates the valves during the flush so we control that process. This was required by the FD many years ago when they did the inspections. I am just trying to understand the necessity of this redundant paperwork since our inspectors document what they observed during the flush and hydro-static test anyway. BTW
    The FD never required permits for sprinkler installations so this form would be dropped into an address file and never looked at again.
    I am just trying to understand the importance of this form and the requirement for the property owner to sign it.

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Only if NFPA 10 is adopted and enforced

It is actually NFPA 24

Our state fire marshal requires it.

We just do a plain old inspection form.

3. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Our Fire Marshall's office handles this end, and throughout the building.

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

The other reason for form fill

Is to have the install company document it

The owner to sign he understands it was done

Plus it is amazing some fire sprinkler companies do not follow the test procedures or do not know what they are!!!!!!

5. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

We just require the NFPA 13 form....

6. Truck3capt

Truck3capt Supporter

We use it but I'm on the fire side and we permit our sprinkler systems. It's unusual for the owner to ever witness the tests in our jurisdiction. Typically just myself or one of the other fire inspectors and the installing plumber. We sign in the notes section under the contractor's block that we witnessed the tests. I would echo cda's comment that alot of contractors don't know what's required for the underground.

Plumbers typically install them in our jurisdiction. Unless their company also has sprinkler fitters in-house they are typically unaware of what's required by NFPA for flushing or hydrostatic tests for the underground. We see it almost weekly when we get a plumber from outside of our area installing them. They show up with a 50psi gauge and a garden hose rigged up to the flange in the riser room for flushing. I don't think many of the surrounding jurisdictions are witnessing anything based on how often it happens.

Some of our sprinkler contractors ask for a copy of the paperwork if they didn't install the underground in order to confirm that we witnessed the flush before they connect to the other side of the RPZ with their work.

7. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

Strictly speaking, if the test report is not completed, the work was not carried out in conformance to NFPA 24. Now what does it do? It's a cheat cheat for the installer to remind them what to do and documentation of what they did. Provided you are capturing everything that the form captures, no I don't see why you'd require it.