1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Door swing direction

Discussion in 'Commercial Building Codes' started by Robert, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

I have an existing Assembly space with OL greater than 49. The 2 exits from that space swing in the direction of egress into 2 opposite corridors. Am I correct in the resulting OL in each corridor is 1/2 of the Assembly OL? And if so, the resulting OL in each corridor would be less than 50, then do the corridor doors still need to swing in the direction of egress? The client wants to add a door in the existing corridor, and client would prefer it to swing opposite of egress travel because of some existing layout issues. Thank you.

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

No

Unless you can get half the people to go to one door

And the other half to the other door

3. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

once you reach more than 49 all the doors in the exit route have to swing in the direction of travel

4. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Agree with the posts, has to stay in the direction of travel........

Lorenbb likes this.
  5. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

6. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

I'm revisiting this (with posted image). Do these two new doors in the corridor need to swing toward egress (as drawn) and do they need panic hardware? It seems that all 54 occupants from the assembly area would exit through either of the two exterior exits (rather than down the corridor). The occupants in the corridor would come from the offices and only account for an OL of 16 or so. What do you think?

Attached Files:

7. cda

cda Sawhorse

I would tell you yes

8. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

do the corridor doors have latching hardware? Do the door need to be there and for what reason?

9. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

Doors are requested by the owner for privacy reasons between certain offices and public/private separation at the entry. I can't see a scenario where the 54 occupants would ever backtrack down this corridor after exiting the assembly space (pretty much running past the exit), but if they are required by code to handle that load then I will certainly oblige.

10. cda

cda Sawhorse

Without measurements on the plan, I would say still yes that panic hardware is required.

You are not creating dead end corridor issue are you??

11. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

O.K...thanks. Drawing is not to scale but we have about 26' (left to right) before the first door location, then another 25' to the next door. If we don't provide a latch or lock, I believe the doors will not need panic hardware. I'm waiting on owner input of their desire for locks. Doors still need to be fire rated though.

12. cda

cda Sawhorse

Doors still need to be fire rated though.

┬┐Que?

13. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

Bldg. is 1 hour construction throughout, so corridor doors need to be 20 minute if I remember right.

14. cda

cda Sawhorse

No do not have to be rated, in your drawing

15. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

Looking at your sketch, the right hand door in that corridor obviously has to swing outward towards the exit. The one in the middle of that hallway is questionable as to which way it should swing. I could make an argument for either direction of swing.

16. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

Thanks. cda, building is type 5A (I did not sketch the whole plan which includes a second story).. According to table 716.5 (CBC) corridor fire partition, doors need to be 20 minute....unless I'm missing an exception somewhere? Regardless of how I swing the middle, I'm hearing that I need panic hardware to exit the 54 occupants from the assembly space, even though it does not seem to be a direct exit.

17. cda

cda Sawhorse

The doors across the corridor are not part of a rated wall

18. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

Thanks CDA...that's new information to me.

19. cda

cda Sawhorse

Sometimes doors across a corridor are part of a rated wall,,

But in your case more than likely not.

Just confirm that

20. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that defines and provides a path of egress travel.

"The determination as to when a corridor exist is essentially left to the building official.

To provide for a greater degree of consistency some jurisdictions have established a set of guidelines that expand on the definition having four (4) common characteristics as regulated in the code.
    1. A space formed by enclosing walls over 6 ft. in height.
    2. Has a length to width greater than 3 to 1.
    3. It's primary function is for the movement of occupants in the means of egress system, and
    4. It has a length greater than permitted for a dead-end condition."
    Ref. 2015 INC Handbook

The code requires panic hardware or fire exit hardware for doors serving an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E.

Corridor (fire) doors shall be self- or automatic-closing. However the doors that serve Group B occupancy are permitted to have a lever lock set.

#20 Francis Vineyard, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM