1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Door to accessible space under stair

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by Andrea Schoening, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Andrea Schoening

Andrea Schoening Registered User

Instead of of having nothing under the platform of a U shaped stair, I decided to enclose it, creating a space with 4'-11" ceiling height. It's really just a storage space. I want to add a access door so that the client can store stuff under the stair. I get that per R302.7 the walls and ceiling need type x gyp on it but what about the access door? Does it have to be a 20 min rated fire separation door with self closing device? This seems like overkill but I can't find anything about doors that lead to the accessible space under stairs. Help please.

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

Is your office on the beach?!

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Have to look at the book
    I am thinking no

4. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

Does it need a door

And if so a rated one??

6. Andrea Schoening

it needs some kind of access panel/door. if the door needs to be fire rated was my question..

7. Andrea Schoening

lol, I wish ;)

8. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

There's no requirement for a door.

cda likes this.
  9. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

Don't forget the fire blocking in the stringers.

Andrea Schoening likes this.
  10. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If there is no door, is it really enclosed......;)? ....To answer the OP, no special requirements for that door, just the drywall.

11. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

As stated above, nothing in the 2016 California Residential Code, requires it
    Provide one-hour fire resistive construction on walls & ceiling under the interior of stairway

If the fire burns up the door, the framing is still protected

12. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

If the stairs are set up like the photo's that Francis posted, then I believe your interior doors will work just fine.

But if your entering from a garage side then the door would have to meet the same requirements steel or solid core wood door with closer.

I have seen this same u-shaped stairway with a cut-down door below the platform being entered from the garage side (resident wanted to store mowers under the stairs) and I have seen an opening on the rec-room side with a cut-down door. Some do not want to loose the space and want the coat closet separate from the storage under the stairway.

13. Andrea Schoening

Thank you, this makes a lot of sense

14. Lisa Smith

Lisa Smith Registered User

Hi, I stumbled across this forum looking for information.

I am the President of my HOA (which is in the city of SD), and we have a proposal from a homeowner in front of us to put in a closet under her stairs (just like above). There is a HOA Board member that is saying that "it is code" to drywall the storage room that is being put in and not leave it as studs. The homeowner is saying that the closet doesn't require interior drywall. They have been going back and forth for months.

Based on what I am seeing above, it looks like it is required. I've attempted to find this in the 2016 California Residential Building Code, but can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me with a link or tell me which specific section of the code has this information so I can't print it and bring it to the meeting, and resolve this matter. I would really appreciate any help in locating the specific text so I can print it.

Thank you for your help!

15. Lisa Smith

Lisa Smith Registered User

Nevermind, I found it from the list above. Its been a long day.

16. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I need to be convinced about that.

17. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome !!!

18. cda

cda Sawhorse

Have to love hoa’s