1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Drop ICC membership?

Discussion in 'Association Talk' started by Code Neophyte, Mar 27, 2018.

1. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Got my ISO packet a couple of weeks ago. Their rep will be here end of August. I will spend about 3 hours filling out the 22 pages they gave me and my numbers will go up because we are still on the 2012 and can't adopt the 2018 until the state does and the governor has not made any appointments to the building code advisory board which all expired in 2014.

Why do it? I use it to justify a larger training and computer and other supplies budget to purchase the items needed to move into the 21st century with regards to electronic permitting and plan reviews.

I have done hundreds of private property liability inspections for insurance companies and non of their forms ever ask for an ISO rating for a building department. Fire departments probably 75% of the forms require that info from the field inspector

2. Inspector Gift

Inspector Gift Sawhorse

I personally do not see any merit or value to justify any of the labor expense required to provide the information ISO requested.
    Our small municipality's building department has opted out from doing the ISO report for the past 2 cycles. Ironically, our Fire Department's score has actually improved.
    Lastly, and for what it's worth, two different ISO reps have told me how to raise our scores by stating things on the report that are not honest. For that reason alone, I will not participate.

3. RJJ

RJJ Platinum Member

I have had the same directions in the past Mr. Gift. Just did not want to put it in print.

Inspector Gift likes this.