1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Egress path larger than required.

Discussion in 'Commercial Fire Codes' started by ARCHITECTOM, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ARCHITECTOM

ARCHITECTOM Registered User

Something our office hasn't run into before-
    Project is a 7000sf restaurant:
    The owner wants hand wash sinks outside of the WC in a rear hall which also serves egress.
    The minimum path width is 3'9" the hall is 5'1" wide, and the proposed sinks are 14" deep- so there is no projection into the required egress path.

The fire marshall stated the following:

"The plans I read show the sinks projecting into the space by 14” or 15”.

Fire Safety Code 7.3.2.2 Does not allow for projections into the means of egress greater than 4.5” . I don’t see an exclusion on an exit enclosure wider than minimum.

I see it still as a potential point of impediment"

I am looking for commentary on this but would love some thoughts.

2. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

The required minimum path of egress shall not be impaired - no different than monumental stairs with handrails - look at the commentary to see why handrails are allowed to span 8 feet apart, when
    required width of means of egress is allowed to be measured within 30 inches of the handrails....
    BTW please see my signature line --- IF you find valuable information here, we are cheaper than
    the International Cash Cow forum which has almost zero activity and not nearly the code experience
    here - BTW I have almost 30 years in the code ( still make mistakes as CDA will attest ), but overall
    we don't talk dumb to people and we try our best to represent code professionals.

I admit, I still get stumped and use this forum to find answers..\,,, Welcome !

3. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

The issue may well be projections in pathway... Put wing walls at end of sinks - cane detectable and "show" required means of egress has not been diminished.

4. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Didn't I already post on this? Or is there another thread?....Instruct the FM that it is not an "exit enclosure" it is exit access...If he is still being an idiot, choke down the whole hall to 3'9" and ask him how that has improved safety...

5. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

If you need to, call OSFM and see what they say....The sinks do project into "the space"...but not into the MOE. That is like saying your door is narrower than the room you are egressing so it is an "impediment"....As long as the minimum width is met, all you have to worry about is the little "stickout" hazards which can be addressed through wing walls and other detectable warnings or barriers.

6. Ty J.

Ty J. Sawhorse

4-ft tall wing wall on side of lavatory subjected to the direction of egress traffic. Make sure that the floor is slip resistant.

7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Love "FM's" most of the time, but not always.