1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

FRP Rebar

Discussion in 'Commercial Building Codes' started by linnrg, Oct 9, 2018.

1. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

What are people out there seeing in the use of this fiber Rebar? I see that ACI has an actual guideline on this.

440.1R-06: Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforced with FRP Bars

2. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

Contractors want to use it to cut cost, but to my recollection it's approved for nonstructural applications.

3. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

looks like the latest is 440.1R15 and it costs a mere $108.50

from the site:

DESCRIPTION
    Fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) materials have emerged as an alternative for producing reinforcing bars for concrete structures. Fiber-reinforced polymer reinforcing bars offer advantages over steel reinforcement because they are noncorrosive. Some FRP bars are nonconductive as well. Due to other differences in the physical and mechanical behavior of FRP materials versus steel, unique guidance on the engineering and construction of concrete structures reinforced with FRP bars is necessary. Other countries and regions, such as Japan, Canada, and Europe have established design and construction guidelines specifically for the use of FRP bars as concrete reinforcement. This guide offers general information on the history and use of FRP reinforcement, a description of the unique material properties of FRP, and guidelines for the design and construction of structural concrete members reinforced with FRP bars. This guide is based on the knowledge gained from worldwide experimental research, analytical work, and field applications of FRP reinforcement.

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

The internet says that FRP has higher tensile strength than steel. I have not encountered it in use.

5. Francis Vineyard

Compare apples to apples relatively speaking with comparable qualities of stainless to FRB.
    Had separate request for large slabs on ground and parking garage, don't know why the RDP wouldn't approve it.

#5 Francis Vineyard, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  6. Francis Vineyard

What do the ACI guidelines say?

7. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

In CA Caltrans has been using sheets of Fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) to reinforce and retrofit freeway columns for years.

I another life, the company I worked for, specified it for high corrosive military locations. Guam, Hawaii, and the Philippines.

Simpson Strong-Tie’s has gotten in the market,
    https://www.strongtie.com/products/rps/css/frp-fiber-reinforced-polymer

Francis Vineyard likes this.
  8. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

jar546 likes this.
  9. Francis Vineyard

Now I recollect we have an engineer here that uses the fabric applied to basement foundation walls for repairs. Interesting concept.

10. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

What is its life expectancy if left exposed, what of stretch? Brittleness?

11. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

The only application for FRp rebar I have seen used and inspected was for a agricultural scale at a state agency that could not have any electrical interference that would cause calibration issues for the scale.

Francis Vineyard likes this.
  12. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

if this is non-conductive and non corrosive I would think the people in the swimming pool world would be seeing it right away.
    Advertisement says it could last way longer than other products.

By the way this is available at all of your local supply stores.

13. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

https://www.americanfiberglassrebar.com/default.aspx
    USE FRP REBAR
    Concrete Susceptible to Corrosion
    • Waste Water Treatment Facilities
    • Swimming Pools
    Tunneling & Mining
    • Sequential Excavation or NATM Tunneling
    • Deep Foundation Tunnel Boring Machine “Soft-Eye” Opening for Launch & Reception
    • Temporary Reinforcement
    • Rock Bolts
    Building & Historic Preservation
    • Historic Preservation - Restoration & Pinning of Stone Elements
    • Architecture Concrete Elements
    • Slabs
    Exposure of Concrete to De-Icing Chlorides
    • Bridges & Railings
    • Median Barriers
    • Parking Structures
    • Approach Slabs
    • Continuously Reinforced Concrete Paving
    • Precast Elements
    • Salt Storage Facilities
    Masonry Strengthening
    • Seismic, Wind or Blast Strengthening of Unreinforced Masonry
    • Strengthening for “Event Loading” of Clay & Concrete Masonry
    Exposure of Concrete to Marine Chlorides
    • Coastal Construction exposed to Salt Spray
    • Sea Walls, Wharfs & Dry Docks
    • Desalinization Intakes
    • Port Aprons
    Exposure of Concrete to High Voltages & Electromagnetic Fields
    • Light & Heavy Rail
    • High Voltage Substations
    • Radio Frequency Sensitive Areas
    • Cable Ducts & Banks
    • Hospital MRI Areas
    • Aluminum Smelters & Steel Mills
    • High Speed Highway Tolling Zones
    • Airport Radio & Compass Calibration Pads

American Fiberglass Rebar products
    (702) 567-2514 Direct or (885) 6409861 Toll Free. Email sales@americanrebar.com

American Concrete Institute (ACI)

440.1R-06: Guide for the Design and Construction of Structural Concrete Reinforced with FRP Bars

440.5-08: Specification for Construction with Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Reinforcing Bars

440.6-08: Specification for Carbon and Glass Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Bar Materials for Concrete Reinforcement

440.3R-12: Guide Test Methods for Fiber-Reinforced Polymer (FRP) Composites for Reinforcing or Strengthening Concrete Masonry Structures

440.2R-08: Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded FRP Systems for Strengthening Concrete Structures

440.7R-10: Guide for the Design and Construction of Externally Bonded Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Systems for Strengthening Unreinforced Masonry Structures

jar546 likes this.
  14. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

FRP rebar has not been adopted into the code and thus if proposed must be considered as an alternate means of construction.

FRP rebar does not have the ductility that steel rebar has and thus would be inappropriate for some applications. A significant amount of FRP is used to mitigate problems with existing masonry or concrete members and while it may improve the performance of these members my sense is that these reinforced members will not perform as well as new fully compliant members would.

15. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

In the code or not, Fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) is the future.
    upload_2018-10-10_15-9-33.png

#15 mark handler, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  16. Msradell

Msradell Sawhorse

I've also done some reading on FRP Bars and a lot of the advantages are offset by some of the disadvantages. It's very susceptible to environmental factors such as UV light etc. and its strength will deteriorate if left exposed to direct sunlight. In addition any damage to the services will also reduce his strength. Most of the withers are I read also say that you have to leave it on pallets instead of laying it directly on the ground which in most jobsites would be a huge disadvantage. Any material that records bends has to be bent before it's fully cured, cured Bars cannot be bent.

I can see where it may be advantageous in some situations but it doesn't sound like it's something it will take over huge portions of the field until some big improvements are made to it.

17. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Just like steel you can get bars that are coated.