1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Fryer to open flame appliance clearnace

Discussion in 'Commercial Mechanical Codes' started by fireguy, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Codegeek

Codegeek Sawhorse

That was not my point. My point was that if a standard has direction on how to more clearly help a CO in determining if something is compliant, then use it. I'm not suggesting that a CO use a document to enforce just to get their rocks off. It's those that do that give the rest of the CO's a terrible reputation.

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Do not know how it works in the international community,

But the extinguishing company installers around here do look at fryer clearance and certify the system has it

3. beach

beach Gold Member

That one got me wondering, so I checked NFPA 96 (2011) Section 12.1.2.5.1 which states: "If the fryer and the surface flames are at different horizontal planes, the minimum height of 203mm (8 in.) shall be measured from the higher of the two." (underscore mine)

I believe you would still need a a min. 8" baffle plate if the fryer is below 8" from the cooktop

4. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

Just to clarify

If the fryer is 6" below the surface flame then a minimum 2" plate would be needed to meet the 8" requirement.

Correct

Or do you think an 8" plate would still be required?

5. beach

beach Gold Member

My opinion is that the difference in height between the fryer and cooktop is not relevant, the min. 8" baffle gets installed on the highest of the two appliances or, if they were the same height, either one.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

I believe you would still need a a min. 8" baffle plate if the fryer is below 8" from the cooktop""""

Good point , now need to start looking at that thanks

As we all know it is the vapors that burn, not the liquid

7. fireguy

fireguy Gold Member

True, but when you have a basket of onion rings dripping grease, then pass the basket over the gas charbroiler, you get fumes.

8. cda

cda Sawhorse

OK time to wake up this thread

So how do you measure the sixteen inches???

Between the fryer and any open-top flame units:

16" (41 cm)

From NFPA 96

All deep-fat fryers shall be installed with at least a 406 mm (16 in.) space between the fryer and surface flames from adjacent cooking equipment.

Commentary::::

It is important to note that the distance to be measured is not between appliances or even between cooking surfaces. This minimum distance is measured between the nearest edge of the deep-fat fryer appliance and the actual surface flames of any adjacent appliance. Since electric cooking appliances typically do not have flames, the distance between them and a deep-fat fryer is not an issue. Exhibit 12.1 shows a situation where the fryer is located within 406 mm (16 in.) of the other cooking equipment. However, because the other cooking equipment is electric and does not produce a flame, this separation requirement does not apply.

9. cda

cda Sawhorse

wok.jpg

Barrier

Yes or No??????????

10. cda

cda Sawhorse

Capture.jpg

Barrier

Yes or No ???

assume the two appliances are touching