1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Green Homes Falling Apart

Discussion in 'Green / Leed' started by conarb, Jul 12, 2018.

1. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Brad Pitt's green homes are falling apart:

Didn't take long for these sealed-up moldy Green Platinum LEED homes to fall apart. We need to get some prosecutors to start indicting these Greenies and those who have been pushing this crap. Hey, but they meet code, did they have building inspectors approving the plans and signing them off? Pitt admits he was "incredibly naive" buying into this, well he's a movie actor, what about professional builders and inspectors who bought into this fraud?

¹ https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/07/12/brad-pitts-hurricane-katrina-homes-are-falling-apart-residents-say-in-new-report/

2. jeffc

jeffc Bronze Member

Did they determine the cause of the problems? Does anyone have access to tangible information they could share about this situation to help determine the cause and solution to their issues?

3. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

I've been arguing against these sealed-up homes for years, hopefully some press here might get the USGBC involved to get some of this cleaned up.

4. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Pitt got conned like everyone else, the U.S.G.B.C should be brought in to analyze all of the failures, with all the fees they charge they can certainly afford it. Maybe they could hire Joe Lstiburek to come in and analyze them, he's on record knocking the "Greenie Weenies" . Then too, maybe the AHJs enforcing the Green and Energy Codes should be sued for forcing people to follow these codes? Somebody should pay for these scams.

5. tmurray

tmurray Sawhorse

Yeah. I'm sure they were "experts" in energy efficient construction.

It's kind of like hiring a kid who's never build anything before to build you a deck and being surprised when it falls down. Well, what did you think would happen? I wouldn't expect Brad Pitt's house construction charity to build good homes. He's an actor.

Dr. Lstiburek is on record for knocking green for green sake. Especially at the expense of an energy efficient building. LEED's 1 credit for increasing building ventilation by 40% over ASHRAE 62 comes to mind. You can build these buildings safe. You just can't build them the way the old guys built them. You need to understand your materials and what they do. How many builders understand the difference between a vapour barrier, air barrier, plane of air tightness, and the rain screen? If you can't tell me what each of these are and what products serve that function in each area of your building envelope, you should never construct an energy efficient building because it will be a hazard to the occupants.

totalmedtech and jeffc like this.
  6. totalmedtech

totalmedtech Registered User

truer words were never spoken