1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

ICC Board? Right, Wrong, Needs Work, The Future?

Discussion in 'Talk to the ICC Board' started by jpranch, Apr 26, 2017.

1. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

In Wyoming we are required by state law to have copies on hand for the public. As I understand it a lot of other states have the same laws and / or provide the same access. The discussion revolves around "Equal Access Unto the Law" and I surely get that and I'm surly very sensitive to that. We do not charge any fees to the public. Just my humble opinion but that would be just plain wrong. I would expect that, that is a decision made at the state and local levels but I have not heard of any jurisdiction charging for the access. Anybody else heard of fees for access??? Btw, yes the codes & standards are copyrighted but you can as a legal purchaser / owner print selected pages, tables, formulas, to assist your customers with there projects. I do it all the time and use copy and paste from the codes for plan review. Not when you print the whole thing in total and make it available wholesale that is a very different story. And its just not the text, tables, formulas, etc... You also have to take into account such things a logos, registered trademeaks, etc...

2. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Our amendments to the model codes are available for free download on the State Building Inspectors website and ICC was nice enough to publish CT specific IRC and IBC books so that users are not constantly flipping around different docs looking for the info here...If a customer wants to see the code, we will let them view it here, or send them links to OSBI and the Ecodes at ICC...

jpranch likes this.
  3. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

Jcarver, to continue. Committees. I hear you. Bur believe it or not there is a method to the madness. The decision(s) to create a committee or council are looked at very carefully by the board. Is the juice worth the squeezing? Some committees take on major topics and some I will admit might not be quite so focused on our core mission. But there is more to it than that. Your point is well taken in that why would we want to create a committee to study and report back to the board about the impact of fly crap on glazing! Just kinnding. There is no committee for that. Just making a point. The board is moving slowly back to our core mission. I foresee this as a mid to long term transition with of course ever watchful on the budget and well being of our financial health. The dollars spent on committees is looked at throughout the year and in each and every years budget. I can tell you absolutely that we are doing more with less as that budget item(s) have not seen an increase in years that amount to a spit in the river.

5 Year code cycle. Our current revenue stream and business model is based on the 3 year cycle and I do not see that changing anytime soon. ICC already has contracts 3 to 4 years out with hotels, convention centers, etc... The 3 year code cycle itself presents challenges at even that time interval. When you have a revenue stream that cycles you have to really plan you budgets carefully for the up years and the down years. This is why I mentioned in an earlier post about diversifying ICC's financial portfolio. So the revenues are more steady, predictable, and stable year over year.

Voting methods. Now come on and let's say what it is. We (ICC) have failed in at least one major regard. The electronic voting devices. We all know it and have seen it first hand. This goes back to our I.T. discussion. For this particular issue I'm expecting an update in a couple of weeks from ICC staff. Stay tuned and I can hopefully get you a better answer soon. I can tell you this, the solution will not be cheap. Of course we are looking at the options of renting the technology or possibly buying and owning the equipment. Both have their pro's and con's. Quite frankly we have not had great experiences with outside vendors in this regard.

Please let me know if I missed anything in your comments and thanks for the feedback.