1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Indoor Furniture Used on Outdoor Porches/Patios

Discussion in 'Property Maintenance' started by Hammer, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Hammer

Hammer New Member

We frequently run into situations where people will take old indoor furniture (stuffed chairs, sofas, etc,) and place them outside on a front porch or patio (not enclosed, may have a roof over top). We routinely write violations for "rubbish" in these situations as well as "rodent harborage". We view these articles of furniture as made for indoor use and not designed for outdoor use. We have a person who is planning to appeal a violation for this scenario. Does anyone else have any experience with this type of situation? How do you handle this scenario?

2. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

With blinders.
    No violations in my book. As far as "rodent harborage" I find pack rats under the hood of my vehicles at least 4 times a year. Nope not going there at all.

[​IMG]

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

1. Are you able to post or link to the ordinance you are using

So we can see how it reads

2. Why does it matter if it is indoor or outdoor furniture being used? And how do you know the difference

3. Are enforcing this the same? If I drive a few blocks and take pictures will I see some porches with furniture that have not been issued a notice

5. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

You're lucky he's not appealing it with a shotgun!

FLSTF01 likes this.
  6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

As unsightly as it might be, I don't think you can cite rodents unless you see rodents (or proof of)....Furniture on a porch would be hard to fight as garbage also as there is a pretty specific definition in the IPMC....I imagine he is going to beat you depending on who makes up the appeals board...

7. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

That's why I could never do Code Enforcement!

I don't get rats under the hood, had mice in the ventilation ducts of vehicles though.......

8. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Welcome, Hammer. I don't mean to come off as an a$$ on your first post but...

No matter how you stretch it, nor how badly your City Manager and/or Mayor want it to be, furniture on a porch is not a violation of the IPMC. Either write a specific ordinance into your City codes or next time, drive on by.

The IPMC is already the 2nd worst of the I-codes - no need to make it even more despicable by manufacturing reasons to apply it.

9. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

What's first? Green?

10. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Energy. We don't do the green code here, yet (and not ever, if I can help it).

11. north star

north star Sawhorse

@ = @ = @

Also, ...Welcome Hammer to the Building Codes Forum ! :D

Please keep on posting your input & questions.

@ = @ = @

12. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

My un
    An uncle had a cat that liked it under the hood in winter.....the operative word is had.

steveray likes this.