1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Los Angeles CA - Single Family Curved Residential Stairs

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by Remington, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Remington

Remington Member

I am designing a curved staircase with a thread depth of 6" at it's smallest point and 11" , 12 inches away from the edge of the 6" edge.

For Group R-1 occupancy, a Single Family home, do the curved stairs have to meet the curved stairs code requirement as specified below? It seems ridiculously difficult to comply in a small entry space.

Curved stairways with winder treads must meet the minimum and maximum tread and riser requirements per Section 1009.4. Specifically, a minimum 11 inch tread depth, measured at a right angle to the tread's leading edge at a point 12 inches in from the side where the treads are narrower, is required; a minimum tread depth of 10 inches is required; and riser heights shall be 4 inches minimum and 7 inches maximum. Also, the smallest radius of the stair shall not be less than twice the required width of the stairway (radius requirements need not be met within Group R-3 occupancy or an individual dwelling unit within Group R-2 occupancy).

2. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Group R-1 occupancy, a Single Family home?
    Is it a R-1 zoning designation? Or A R-1 Group per the Building code?
    Single Family home per the State code is an R-3 and under the Residential code not the building code.

my250r11 likes this.
  3. Remington

Remington Member

This is an R-1 zoning designation.

4. Remington

Remington Member

The single family home is in R1 zoning

5. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Zoning has nothing to do with the building codes
    In CA you are under the Residential Building Codes

6. Remington

Remington Member

yes. I know. But can a curved stair with 6" min be allowed in a single family home?

7. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

8. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Not on CA code but:

2012 IBC 1009.12 Spiral stairways- shall have a 7.5-inches minimum clear tread depth at a point 12-inches from the narrow edge. Riser height shall not be more than 9.5-inches.

RESIDENTIAL, 2012 IRC R311.7.10.1 Spiral stairways- 7.5-inch minimum tread depth @ 12-inches from the narrower edge. All treads to be identical and rise to be no higher than 9.5-inches.

Both require a minimum of 26-inches clear width above and below the handrail. Head room can be 78-inches.

Sooo... at the narrow end, 6-inches is too small

That's what she said!

9. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

I did't know this was referencing winder treads, R311.7.5.2.1, 6-inches is allowed at any point within the clear width of the stairs. Poster said curved stair, my mistake.

Nice reference, MH