1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Means of Egress Fire Rated Opening - Fire Rated Wiring

Discussion in 'Commercial Fire Codes' started by ALCompliance, Jul 11, 2018.

1. ALCompliance

ALCompliance New Member

I was recently asked to provide the UL listing showing the fire rating for the electrical wire bringing power to an electrified mortise lock in a fire rated single door opening. Has anyone encountered this type of request? Typical UL wire types are certified by UL for electrical ratings but I find almost nothing on fire ratings. NFPA80 and NEC70 do not seem to provide any clarification on how this should be handled. Any thoughts?

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Who asked the question ??

If still ongoing, ask where the requirement is coming from.

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

We do have a door guru, email the question here::

https://idighardware.com/about-2/

Yep the question makes no sense.

5. ALCompliance

ALCompliance New Member

Thanks cda, I know Lori Greene very well and we've discussed this briefly. I agree, the request makes no sense and I have yet to receive a response from the AHJ about where his requirement is coming from. Lori suggested I post here and see if anyone had a similar experience.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

Oh that Lori

Plus just to get fire rated wire is costly

Did they happen to say what rating they wanted?? One hour two hour other

Not into lock details, but I take it is low voltage wiring??

Seems like submitting all the specs on the locking system, from the manufacture should Make the ahj’s day!!!

7. RLGA

RLGA Sawhorse

Door hardware, when used on a fire-protection-rated door, must be tested and labeled per NFPA 80-6.4.4.1 (2016), thus the wiring to the lockset should be part of the tested assembly (I emphasize "should be," since I don't know for a fact, but could find out from some friends at Assa-Abloy or Allegion). Therefore, if the wiring was tested as part of the tested assembly, as long as the wire conforms to the manufacturer's requirements, it should be acceptable, whether specifically UL fire-rated or not.

8. ALCompliance

ALCompliance New Member

Yes, NFPA 80 6.4.4.1 requires "labeled locks and latches or labeled fire exit hardware..." and the wiring that is part of the electrified portion is part of the listing. However, most locks, estrikes, electrified exits, etc. do not come with wire long enough to reach all the way back to the power supplies. This AHJ is wanting proof the field wiring pulled to the door opening and connected to the lead wires from the electrified device is fire rated. To my knowledge this is not something anyone I've worked with has ever been asked for.

9. RLGA

RLGA Sawhorse

If the wiring is to the door and not within the door, then there is no requirement for the wiring to have any rating and it is installed just like any other wiring within the building per the NEC. If the wiring does enter into the door assembly, then it should be tested along with the lockset in the door assembly.

If it is the former, then the request is a little absurd...do they require UL fire-rated wiring within fire-rated walls? Do they require UL fire-rated wiring to exit and emergency lights? The NEC doesn't require it in either of those applications, so why would it be required for fire-rated doors?