1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

New building inspector trying to figure out how to get certified...

Discussion in 'Certifications' started by Tidwell.B427, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Tidwell.B427

Tidwell.B427 Registered User

I just started as a building Inspector in a small town and am looking to learn as much as possible while here to eventually move up into bigger cities/areas. I've been looking at the ICC website and some others to try and figure out how to best get certified and just confused the hell out of myself...any advice you guys could give, do I need to buy ALL the Code Books, or not really? The city will pay for training and books/materials, just got to figure out where and how to get started. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Prepare for a thankless job with no recognition, that is your creed.

After that start small and get a residential inspection certificate it will allow you to move horizontal to your next big gig.

Did I mention the pay is low, so prepare to drive a beater to work, cuz the other employees will wonder how you can drive a BMW to work?

Tidwell.B427 likes this.
  3. Tidwell.B427

Where is the best place to do that? I have been looking at ICC's site and also InterNACHI...any recommendations?

4. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Is the city an ICC member?
    Is there a permit Tech, Is there a BO at your place of work? If so ask what he/she needs of you?

What is your strengths? What are you good at? Residential, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC, Commercial etc.

If you haven't already, go to ICC site, education & certification tab, certification center-exam catalog. Look for the certificate you desire and the testing options, like computer testing or paper and pencil. If you get the first certificate and your awesome at testing, due to your desire to move on, I'd jump right into the CBO three part test.

When you get that CBO you'll be able to set back in the office and rake in the big bucks, maybe get to drive a shiny old used public works truck. You'll pick up some baby sitting work and some budget work and all the citizen questions will come your way.

Some city's pay a bit more if you have some certs.

Sorry for being so snarky, it's Monday. Waiting for the complaints to roll in about dandelions and weeds.

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

What is your background?

Two suggestions

Get hooked up with an icc chapter in your state, to include fire.

Good place to get info and training

Other is get with a bigger city inspection dept and ride with them every so often and learn from them
    Plus they may do some training

Yes to do a icc cert test you need the books

Someone on the forum can suggest which ones to start with

6. Tidwell.B427

My background consists of Residential Construction, both new and remodeling. I can run electrical, plumbing drains and supplies, HVAC, gas lines, framing, roofing, basically all but the foundations. No real experience in concrete other than small pours during some remodels and fence posts.

Looking into the local chapters now, all good info that is helping get me pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

7. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

Tidwell.B427, Give me a call. I can help you out a bit. Jim Brown. Work: 307-686-5260. I'm the Deputy Official for the City of Gillette Wyoming. I also currently serve on the ICC board of directors.

my250r11 likes this.
  8. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

This should help you in your search as well:
    • ICC Board Liaison

Jerry Mallory

Building Inspector

Wellsville, KS 66092-0455
    • Primary Staff Liaison

Tim Schmitz

GR Regional Manager

BATAVIA, IL 60510-1150
    • Discipline-specific Staff Liaison

Robert A Neale

VP of National Fire Service Activities

WASHINGTON, DC 20001-2070

[E]rneale@iccsafe.org
    • Regional Chapter

ICC Heartland Region IV Coalition

Brian Hunt-President

cda and fatboy like this.
  9. Tidwell.B427

I will definitely take you up on that! Probably give you a call tomorrow on my lunch (took an early one today...) Thanks for looking out!

10. cda

cda Sawhorse

I thought I did the icc link

My bad

11. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

cda likes this.
  12. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

I recommend you read this book also along with the technical codes there are the "people" skills you may need to learn to be good and effective at "code enforcement" without coming across as authoritarian and demanding.

[​IMG]

http://shop.iccsafe.org/topics/building-departments/inspection/inspector-skills.html

Inspector Skills is the first text to focus on the “other” skills that are essential for success as a construction inspector. These “soft skills” are the non-technical traits and behaviors that enhance an inspector’s ability to interact with others and to successfully carry out his or her job duties.

Inspector Skills aims to raise awareness of the importance of soft skills and to provide guidance toward recognizing and improving those skills. When coupled with the technical knowledge of codes and construction practices, developing effective soft skills elicits cooperation, generates respect and credibility, and improves the image of inspectors and code safety departments.

Inspector Skills was written for construction inspectors in all disciplines and will also benefit students, permit technicians, plan reviewers and building officials.

jpranch likes this.
  13. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

Good call Jeff.