1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

New restaurant ownership... change of occupancy?

Discussion in 'Existing Buildings Codes' started by BillS, Aug 3, 2017.

1. BillS

BillS Member

If an existing restaurant is purchased by a new owner, and the new owner plans to make interior renovations, is the project
    • Simply considered a Level 2 or 3 Alteration (depending on the extent) because the occupancy/use isn't changing; or
    • Also considered a Change of Occupancy?
    I ask this because in IEBC 2009 310.4.1 the commentary says, "When a building undergoes a partial change of occupancy, such as where there is a tenant change..."

So, if a building owner has a new tenant, that's a "partial change of occupancy," but what if there's a new owner? I'd assume that it's the same thing, but I don't want to assume anything and I can't find any code reference that talks about this...

Thanks!

Bill

2. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

I've always considered it to remain the same unless it is actually a "change" of occupancy, as in occupancy group. JMHO

JBI likes this.
  3. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Spot on Fat, if use continues to be the same and only the tenant changes it is not a change of occupancy, unless the present use is tied to a conditional use permit limited to the original tenant.

JBI likes this.
  4. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

IEBC definition

CHANGE OF OCCUPANCY. A change in the purpose or level of activity within a building that involves a change in application of the requirements of this code.

JBI likes this.
  5. RLGA

RLGA Sawhorse

The reference to a new tenant for a partial change of occupancy is meant as an example only, such as when a mercantile tenant in a strip mall moves out and a new restaurant tenant moves in--the entire building doesn't have a change of occupancy, just that one tenant space.

JBI likes this.
  6. BillS

BillS Member

Thanks!

7. PJC89

PJC89 Well-Known Member

8. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

A dentist office is a B however if the dentist office after a few years starts to include dental surgery where the patients are rendered incapable of self preservation then it is still a "B" occupancy that is now an Ambulatory Care Facility and sprinklers and alarms are required under Chapter 4

That is what the above definition is referring too.

JBI likes this.
  9. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

A 'level of activity' example could be a restaurant changing to a night club.
    Much higher occupant load, dimmer lighting/flashing lights, louder music, primarily alcohol and a little food compared to primarily food and a little alcohol.