1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

New restaurant ownership... change of occupancy?

Discussion in 'Existing Buildings Codes' started by BillS, Aug 3, 2017.

  1. Builder Bob

    Builder Bob Sawhorse

    Oct 17, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Beware, Just because an occupancy remains the same occupancy as before, does not mean that it doesn't have to comply with newer requirements - Change of occupancy includes change of occupancy group, occupancy division, or any change of use within a use group. I.e. Restaurant built prior to fire sprinkler requirements, may have to provide sprinkler system if the occupant load is sufficient to require it. IEBC Section 1004 indicates that fire protection is required when the threshold of fire protection systems requirements are met as in the IBC.

    In accordance with the IEBC, this is a change of use within an occupancy division which is part of the group.See IEBC 1001.2.1 for clarification.

Share This Page