1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

No Longer an Exit

Discussion in 'Door & Hardware forum *Sponsored by Allegion' started by LGreene, Oct 23, 2018.

1. LGreene

LGreene Sawhorse
    Staff Member

I really need some help with this issue, so please weigh in. The building in question is being renovated, and the egress routes have changed. Some doors that were exits before, are no longer required as exits. The building owner wants to leave the existing doors and hardware, but permanently fix them in the closed position. They won't open any more, but they will still look just like the door openings that were previously used for egress.

I know this should not be done - it's a hazard. But what do you point to in the codes to show that it is not allowed?

2. Inspector Gift

Inspector Gift Sawhorse

It is a fire/life/safety violation. We would not allow occupancy of the renovated buildings until the violations have been corrected. Either make the doors working exits, or remodel them so they do not appear as exits in any manner.

jar546 and JBI like this.
  3. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

What makes the doors look like exits? If it is a sign or other markings, those must go. But if the concern is just a persons previous use and familiarity I am not so sure. After all, exit signs are for those that are not familiar with where the exits are. If a corridor has 10 office doors and 1 exit door could they not all look the same except for the exit sign and maybe the type of hardware? I acknowledge the requirement to not have an exit door disguised, but not sure I know of a code that would prohibit the condition you describe. Not in the fire code a lot so maybe there is something in there I am missing.
    Code requires that a door provided for egress purposes, whether required or not, must meet the code. But these are not doors that are being provided for egress purposes anymore.

cda, JCraver and Rick18071 like this.
  4. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

What Sifu said

JCraver likes this.
  5. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Take the exit signs off and it becomes just a door. It could go to the outside, it could go to an office, it could lead into another dimension. Doesn't matter, it's just a door. Lock it or fix it closed, redirect occupants to an approved, required exit, and no problems.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

What others said

If not used for a door for anything, I think minimum, remove any door hardware.

7. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

That sounds like the door to my office.

JCraver likes this.
  8. Paul Sweet

Paul Sweet Sawhorse

Panic bars should be removed because they imply an exit door. Regular locksets shouldn't confuse anyone.

9. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

Fire Code Issue ----

Fire code states where a door is adjacent to or constructed similar to and can be confused, Approved signage that identifies room use or name shall be used to identify door.

IFC1031.5 Non-exit identification.

10. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

Fair enough, easy solution.

11. cda

cda Sawhorse

Wait a minute wait a minute

Building under renovation

Sounds like a building inspector issue

Plus is the same language in IBC ??

12. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

Applicable section of the IBC which is not as clear as the intent of the section cited from the Fire Code.

1010.1 Doors. Means of egress doors shall meet the requirements of this section. Blah Blah Blah..... .
    "Means of egress doors shall be readily distinguishable from the adjacent construction and finishes such that the doors are easily recognizable as doors." Blah, Blah, Blah...

13. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

The doors still look like doors, remove the signage.......go to go.

It might take a while for someone familiar with it to get used to it, but a typical visitor looks for exit signage.

14. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

unfortunately, the signage provisions that are mandated in the IFC for non-exit identification requirement is not directly reflected into the building code requirements unless you adopt appendix E for signage. Thus it is a fire code issue.... the code wording in the IBC is weak, as any door can be recognized as a door.......Duh. It should have stated ... such that the doors are easily recognizable as EGRESS or EXIT Doors.