1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Outsourcing Plan Review Poll

Discussion in 'Plan Review Topics *Sponsored by Advanced Code G' started by jar546, Jun 20, 2015.

?

Outsourcing Plan Review Poll

1. Yes, Overflow work only when we can't keep up

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, Only Residential projects

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, Only Commercial projects

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, All plan review is outsourced

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No, We do 100% of our plan review at all times

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  6. No, We don't even do plan review

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yes, As needed for special projects/reasons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

We do all plan reviews in house. I also do plan reviews from other townships for my company and have no idea who does the inspections. I have accepted one electrical review recently but it did not change the permit fee. The townships fee schedule does not change if others do the plan review.

2. spector51

spector51 Sawhorse

I work for a third party plan review agency in the DC area. More and more jurisdictions here are permitting third party reviews and inspections. This market, for many reasons is very unique though and would not say it is the model for the rest of the world.

3. Joe Engel

Joe Engel Member

City policy is that we outsource commercial plans with some exceptions

4. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

City Managers prefer out sourcing to acquiring additional retirement costs, this in difference to loss of Institutional memory. They don't get it until a street collapses or a bridge fails that was built before they were born.

5. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Past experience has shown that the standard of care of consultants (given their for profit motives) requires constant QC by staff, negating any cost savings. Moving to electronic review is seen as a more cost effective solution.

6. CityKin

CityKin Sawhorse

All reviewed in-house. We have a contract back up plan examiner but have only used him when I am out of the office for more than a week at a time.