1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Parking Garage - FBC Building 406.5.2

Discussion in 'Commercial Building Codes' started by Michael Knott, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Michael Knott

Michael Knott New Member

Can someone please help me understand the 2017 FBC Building 406.5.2 code? I am currently designing the HVAC for a building with a parking garage and am trying to determine whether I need to add mechanical ventilation in the parking garage or not. This parking garage has solid walls on three sides and fencing for one side. Is it possible to define a parking garage as an open parking garage if only one side has openings?

2. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Welcome

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

OPEN PARKING GARAGE. A structure or portion of a structure with the openings as described in Section 406.5.2 on two or more sides that is used for the parking or storage of private motor vehicles as described in Section 406.5.3.

5. cda

cda Sawhorse

Not into garages , but Don’t look like you have an open garage

406.5.2 Openings.
    For natural ventilation purposes, the exterior side of the structure shall have uniformly distributed openings on two or more sides. The area of such openings in exterior walls on a tier shall be not less than 20 percent of the total perimeter wall area of each tier. The aggregate length of the openings considered to be providing natural ventilation shall be not less than 40 percent of the perimeter of the tier. Interior walls shall be not less than 20 percent open with uniformly distributed openings.

Exception: Openings are not required to be distributed over 40 percent of the building perimeter where the required openings are uniformly distributed over two opposing sides of the building.