1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Pool cover in lieu of a safety fence for kids?

Discussion in 'Pools, Spas, Hot Tubs' started by ADAguy, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Has anyone ever seen a removable ladder for a above ground pool removed?

2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

An occasional drowning is to be expected. That justifies having the barriers. Take away the drownings completely and people will scoff at the barrier codes. It's like car wrecks and fires....the last thing society needs is no wrecks or fires. Think of what that would cost in lost revenue.

3. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

As long as it is someone else's kid or Grandkid, it is acceptable....?

4. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I had a HO drag one to a hallway for me to get into the attic. Dripping wet. I took a picture.

[​IMG]

my250r11 and Francis Vineyard like this.
  5. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

A little change of subject. But I have some problems on pools and would like how other inspectors think about it. We use the 2009 IRC and I don't know if newer codes fixed these things.

1. Someone is building a deck next to a aboveground pool. No connection to the house. Would you make them have a light for the stairway as required by IRC R311.7.8?
    Or since this is not a means of egress from a dwelling the stairway does not need to comply with code at all? The removable stairway or ladder for aboveground pools never meet the stairway requirements. Would you let them use the removable stairway/ladder to get on this deck?

2. Does the door alarm for a house sliding patio door for a pool area go on the glass door or screen door or both?

3. If a large operable window with a low windowsill with or without a screen that opens to a pool area need to be kept somehow from a child to go through it?

4. IRC AG 105.2 requires the top of the pool barrier to be at least 48' above grade. I always took this as meaning a walking surface rather than grade especially for a deck that connects a house to a pool. But the this section also requires less than a 2" space between grade and the bottom of the barrier. I could understand it the barrier was on the ground but is this still needed if the barrier is on a deck or a paved surface?

6. Keystone

Keystone Sawhorse

Interesting questions.

1. No light.
    Removable ladder from a deck, hummmmmmmmmmmmm, never had that but off the top I would say no and require a stair with landing and appropriate height gate/latch assembly. Being the deck is permanent in nature and the chance for slippage, accidental or purposeful removal may pose an issue.

2. We require the door alarm on the sliding glass door due to that door being the primary door and in todays day and age most homes have AC blasting as soon as the weather breaks.

3. I assume its a window from the dwelling, I would say nothing needed. Does not appear to be addressed by the code.

4. We take it from grade, now bear in mind these situation may vary and field decisions made such as a deck at or very near grade. If anything was indicated at plan submission we would ask for pictures and or conduct a site visit.

7. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

5. Would you require a landing on top of the stairway if the gate swings over the stairs?

8. Keystone

Keystone Sawhorse

Yes, either the bottom or top. I catch a lot of flack for this but this is how I interpret.

The first problem is the space it takes up, the second is the barrier height of 48inches.

9. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

I have allowed the gate to swing over a stair or 2, but wouldn't do anymore than that....Clarification....when the stairway is only one or two risers...Not 2 risers of a 6' tall stair.