1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Reelection to the ICC Board of Directors

Discussion in 'Talk to the ICC Board' started by jpranch, Aug 28, 2018.

1. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

conarb, I work for local government. I love this jurisdiction! Best darn people in the world! I guess that I just got lucky.

2. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

Jim:

Returning to this post, what can we do to get the Feds out of the hearing rooms? Our member Roger P, a builder, regularily attends hearings so he's much more qualified than I, I've asked him chime in, but it seems to me that back in the ICBO days codes were pretty much free of government influence. If the government is going to tell you what to do why even have an ICC?

3. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

The IECC is really the exception and not the rule. All the other I-Codes do not see the level of activity from the fed's that the energy code seems to draw. They certainly can participate in the process but at the end of the day only voting members make the decisions. I did not indicate that they run the show and If I did my bad. The last thing anybody needs is the fed's actually writing and publishing any codes or standards. Again the key is participation in the process by voting members.

Pcinspector1 likes this.
  4. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

Jim,
    Were currently on the 2012 codes with the 2009 IECC, should I even consider the 2018 IECC? At the Kansas City code hearings, it seamed like it was one environmental proposal after another or was I imaging this?

5. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

I would certainly at lease give it a chance and take a good look at it to see if this is something that your jurisdiction might want. A lot of jurisdictions throughout the country have been keeping current with the IECC and seem to be getting along alright. One of the reasons the State of Wyoming has not adopted it was the threat that was made by the U.S. DOE. They made a treat that the states must adopt the most current edition of the IECC by 2017 or else. They tied it to training money and said if you took the money you had to adopt. Our Governor called their bluff and to my knowledge nothing happened as predicted. It was an empty threat.

6. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

"I did not indicate that they run the show and If I did my bad. The last thing anybody needs is the fed's actually writing and publishing any codes or standards. Again the key is participation in the process by voting members."

They might not be now, but that was the out-and-out threat that they said out loud in MN, the first big go-round for the IECC.

"You all better be improving this code, or the DOE will just write it, and force adoption." Might not be word for word, but pretty dang close.

#46 fatboy, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

We should fight that any way we can, the government at any level has no right to take our freedoms away, and that includes how much energy we use.

8. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

So Jim, as I understand the Feds come into the rooms and tell you guys what to do, in effect you just write codes that rubber stamp what the Feds want?

9. fatboy

fatboy Administrator

Not speaking for Jim, but the feeling in the room was that we DID NOT WANT THE DOE writing and forcing energy codes/adoptions.

Lesser of two evils..........I guess.

tmurray likes this.
  10. jpranch

jpranch Platinum Member

conarb, nope, not even close to how it all works or how the process works. The one fact is that we do need more to participate in the development of that particular code. I said it many times. Is anyone listening?