1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

So a HVAC contractor walks into a bar

Discussion in 'Mechanical Codes' started by cda, Nov 5, 2018.

1. cda

cda Sawhorse

Make that an office, and has a question

What should they do if they find a house with a unit putting out

1. Low levels of CO?

2. Medium levels of CO?

And the house owner does not want to fix it anytime soon??

And winter is strarting/heater time.

And a legitiment hvac company, not trying to make money, but maybe save lives and a day in court.

2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Alert the gas company. Any time I have to alert the gas company they are there in minutes. Edison is nonchalant....the gas company is anal. Of course I get name, rank and serial number which I suppose scares some people. I like the gas company. My bill is $12 this month. I'll give'em a call if you want.

#2 ICE, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    mtlogcabin likes this.
  3. BLangley

BLangley Registered User

Maryland recently had a case on similar facts:

https://mdcourts.gov/data/opinions/cosa/2018/1719s16.pdf

https://www.macdonaldlawgroup.com/blog/2018/08/maryland-court-of-special-appeals-expands-duty-of-service-contractors-to-inspect-and-to-warn-of-pote.shtml

Sounds like they've warned and service was refused. Probably something they want to document explicitly with the owner's signatures. Also might be worth a call to their attorney to set a standard method. Certainly won't be the last owner to pick short-term wants and needs over their long-term health/life.

JBI likes this.
  4. Keystone

Keystone Sawhorse

Great Post. Food for thought for all inspectors and contractors when encountering significant concerns.

JBI likes this.
  5. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Was it a bar or a water column?

Mech likes this.
  6. linnrg

linnrg Sawhorse

there have been contractors who write this up to gain extra work - I personally know one. I had called him to do a service and his report stated CO levels. I did not like his quote to do the repairs on an older boiler I had, so I called another contractor who came out and could not detect CO. I also had a CO Detector in that room that never went off (neither contractor knew this). Luckily for me I was able to get a energy grant and replaced that boiler with a high efficiency unit that no longer relies on natural draft.

7. cda

cda Sawhorse

I understand the vultures

One debate is

Where do you take the reading?

Near the heat exchanger ?

In the plenum?

In a room down the way, where the co level may have disapted ??