1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Stop the madness

Discussion in 'Residential Electrical Codes' started by ICE, May 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

A mobile home gets set in a city mobile home park where there was no requirements for inspections on the electrical hook up. Then later there's a mobile home engulfed in flames and a little girl dies. The City Councils then requires that the mobile homes get inspected before occupancy. First one I inspect had undersized service wires, no grounding system and Mr. Lincoln is found under a fuse in the box. On another inspection the electrical box had a piece of copper plumbing pipe used in place of a cartridge fuse. I don't claim to know everything about doing electrical inspections but I'm asked to enforce a family of I-codes and the electrician is typically only required to do one code.

Yes customer service is important and time is money, but asking that the dead front be off and the contractor's representative be present when doing an inspection is not to much to ask for IMO especially on an electrical inspection. If management would support the inspector's request, it is possible the re-inspection would be eliminated saving the entity $$ for sending out the inspector for second inspection.

My 2¢

my250r11 likes this.
  2. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I don't want any covers removed prior to my arrival. It takes less than minute to remove a dead front. I hear stories about inspectors complaining if the dead front isn't already off. I hear stories about inspectors that never look inside the enclosure. Whatever...if I walk on and find the live parts exposed and the worker is not standing next to it I want to walk off. It is a travesty that there should be a need to bitch about this. What has become of all the electricians? And more on point, where are all of the electrical inspectors?

You know, there's a few mistakes that serve as "tells". You making those mistakes tells me a lot about you.....electrician or inspector.
    Leaving exposed live metal says so much more than you suspect. I really don't want to have much to do with you after that. I don't want to explain corrections.....forget me telling you the story of the twins and the beagle. I just want to send you back to the moment in time when you figured to become an electrician or inspector and then talk you out of it.

#22 ICE, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 11:27 AM