1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Understanding ADA restroom requirements

Discussion in 'Accessibility' started by Michael.L, May 15, 2018.

1. Michael.L

Michael.L Registered User

Note: I wanted to break this out from my other thread because this is more about general understanding (whereas my earlier thread was about a specific layout). Hopefully, this thread will also help other business owners understand the nuances of ADA restroom requirements.

=====

Please help me understand the following restroom layout, taken from ADA.gov (the US DOJ's own site on ADA). It's "Plan-1B Pair" which is based on Plan-1B (Single) under the 2010 standards, but with the doors placed on the side walls so two restrooms can be built back-to-back.

[​IMG]

Questions:

1. The image shows what appears to be a latch on the door. Yet the clear floor space approaching the push side of the door does not have the additional 12" clearance on the latch side of the door jam. Is that because this plan does not incorporate a door closer?

2. I've seen a number of ADA restroom design drawings online showing the lavatory specified as spaced away from a side wall by 18" (to the centerline of the fixture). I've included three example images below, but I've seen others. Clearly, this 18" spacing is not the case for virtually all the 2010 Standards plans published by ADA.gov. You can see just by eye that the lavatory is closer than 18" to the side wall with the entry door in Plan-1B Pair, shown above. Are all these restroom designs showing 18" of lavatory spacing from a side wall based on a misinterpretation of the code (perhaps confused with the required 16"-18" lateral spacing of the water closet)? Or are these designs just going beyond what the code requires? Or is there an 18" spacing requirement for lavatories of which I am unaware?

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

Not into toilets

Is the one showing 18, just another way of showing the entire 96 as in the bottom picture

3. TheCommish

TheCommish Sawhorse

having both a closure and a latch requires the clearance, having one of the 2 does not is my understanding

4. Michael.L

That's been my interpretation as well: a logical "AND" means both are required both for the condition to be met. But that begs the question: when would a single-occupancy commercial restroom have a closer but no latch?

5. Michael.L

I'm not sure what you mean by "the entire 96." Are you referring to the turning circle diameter in the bottom image?

6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Typically not....

1109.2.1.7 Privacy. Doors to family or assisted-use toilet and
    bathing rooms shall be securable from within the room.

7. cda

cda Sawhorse

Yes

60+18+18= 96

8. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

you could have a door without a latch and a bolt lock for privacy.

9. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Typically lavs are approached preferably from the front, that being the case in "new" construction 18" min. clr. to finish face of side wall is required.
    Maybe you should consider attending the annual National ADA Symposium put on by the University of Missouri, many of the Access Boards staff are there to answer questions such as yours as is ADA Technical Assistance (800) 949 4232.

10. my250r11

my250r11 Sawhorse

18" is the CENTER of the 36" clear space. ;)

11. georgia plans exam

georgia plans exam Silver Member

I know of no code that has an 18" requirement from a side wall to the center line of a lavatory. If I am mistaken, please someone educate me. We use the 2010 ADASAD here.

Thanks, GPE.

12. georgia plans exam

36" clear space is only required if the forward approach were recessed more than 24". Section 305.7.1 2010 ADASAD. Otherwise, the clear floor space is only required to be 30". GPE.

13. Michael.L

Really? I thought that would also be considered a latch. So is a deadbolt lock (twist handle on the inside, keyed cylinder on the outside) not considered a latch? That would be a great solution for reducing clear floor space.

Do you have the code section I could reference on what constitutes a "latch"?

14. Michael.L

Can you point me to this requirement in the code? All I've found is that the lavatory must have 30"W x 48"D clear space in front of it. I've read that 15" from CL of lavatory to face of side wall is required (but 18" is recommended).

I'm not aiming to become an architect, contractor, or inspector. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can of what I need in order to correctly assess the preliminary layout of our food service establishment before hiring an architect for drafting of our plans for permitting. What I'm doing is research in advance so I can determine if the space we're considering leasing will work for our business before I commit to hiring the architect. I don't want to waste costly hours of an architect's billable time only to learn afterward that this space won't work for our business needs.

The additional benefit of learning the code is that it will help me understand what the architect does and to act as a second set of eyes for reviewing his/her work as the plans are being developed and before submitting for permitting. It also helps ensure that our business remains compliant in the future. For example, how many business owners place a waste bin in the clear floor space required around the water closet? From the photos of ADA restrooms I've seen online, I'd say the vast majority of businesses commit this violation. It's one thing to design and build an ADA-compliant restroom, it's quite another to keep it compliant in day-to-day business operations.

#14 Michael.L, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  15. Sleepy

Sleepy Registered User

GPE, I'm with you, I only see the requirement for 30" wide, unless in an alcove (in my case from ABA 2015 paras. 606.2 and 306).

16. Sleepy

Sleepy Registered User

I may be wrong, but I've always thought this was ok, as long as the waste bin is moveable. There also is usually one in the clear area near the door in multi-user toilet rooms.

17. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

ADA requires "maintenance" of access features. Though waste receptacles are not "fixed" elements they must be kept clear of maneuvering spaces.

18. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

[​IMG]
    See, he said.

19. georgia plans exam

I see a diagram showing 18". Where is the code section? Is it a CBC requirement?

20. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Yes Georgia, CBC 11B 606.6