1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

When are egress stairs not necessary in Single Family Residences?

Discussion in 'Residential Building Codes' started by Remington, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM.

1. Remington

Remington New Member

I have a home in the city of Los Angeles that requires a winding/circular staircase in the entry way. It already has another secondary stairs going to the back exit. Will it require the winding/circular staircase to meet egress code since there already is another stair case? In other words does need minimum tread width etc.per code.

Also, we want to install a prefab spiral stair case to the roof deck garden area . Since the roof deck is not a sleeping area, and not considered habitable space, can it just get a non-code compliant spiral stair?

2. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Spiral stairs meet code....

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

STAIRWAY, SPIRAL. A stairway with a plan view of closed circular form and uniform section-shaped treads radi- ating from a minimum-diameter circle.

R311.7.10.1 Spiral stairways. Spiral stairways are permitted, provided that the clear width at and below the handrail is not less than 26 inches and the walkline radius is not greater than 24 1/2 inches. Each tread shall have a depth of not less than 6 3/4 inches at the walkline. All treads shall be identical, and the rise shall be not more than 9 1/2 inches. Headroom shall be not less than 6 feet 6 inches.

Spiral stairs are already a bit dangerous even if they meet code. The plan to install spiral stairs that are less than code seems fraught with peril.

4. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

I have installed a code compliant spiral staircase kit in my home. My guests always seem to have problems going down these steps. The stairway came with horizontal bars across the riser opening to be code compliant, I think my guests are bringing their feet down to close to the risers and their heel gets caught on the bar. Thank goodness these bars can slide out of brackets on the treads above when stepped on otherwise people may be falling down the steps. My house has a permit for a second floor that is 90% finished. I think it would be safer to take these bars out and then put them back in for a final inspection and then take them out again.
    Has anyone else have this problem?