1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

working space height

Discussion in 'Commercial Mechanical Codes' started by Rick18071, May 18, 2018.

1. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

I have a work space at a appliance that is only 24" high in a commercial building. I think it should be higher to work on the appliance. 2009 IMC 306.1 does not mention height and I don't think anything would have to be taken apart to do any repairs. Should I require a higher working space and what section of the code could I use to justify it?

2. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

See OSHA for clear head space required at equipment workspace.

3. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Anything in the appliance Manufactures manual/instructions on requirements/recommendations?

4. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

This.

Leave OSHA out of it.

5. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

In an attic or in a room? IMC doesn't have "dedicated" equipment space like NEC, so that would be really tough. I imagine it is just the size of the equipment by "X" depth per manufacturers installation instructions and the IMC section might be 30X30 work platform at most...

6. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

306.2 Appliances in rooms. Rooms containing appliances shall be provided with a door and an unobstructed passageway measuring not less than 36 inches wide and 80 inches high.
    Exception: Within a dwelling unit, appliances installed in a compartment, alcove, basement or similar space shall be accessed by an opening or door and an unobstructed passageway measuring not less than 24 inches wide and large enough to allow removal of the largest appliance in the space, provided that a level service space of not less than 30 inches deep and the height of the appliance, but not less than 30 inches, is present at the front or service side of the appliance with the door open.

7. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

I always though this just meant a passage way to the room, once you are in the room a passageway is not needed. It doesn't say a passage way to a appliance but it says rooms containing appliances shall be provided with a door and a passageway....

8. Francis Vineyard

Francis Vineyard Sawhorse

I don't disagree!

As Mark stated in post #3 it will be in accordance with the manufacturer or as required for specific appliances and equipment.

mark handler likes this.