• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

24" from lav to side wall, even with a forward approach?

Yikes

Gold Member
CBC 1134A.8.1 for adaptable dwellings requires 18" clear from the CL of an adaptable lav to a perpendicular side wall, but this must be increased to 24" when there's a vanity cabinet (presumably for a parallel approach by wheelchair).

But wait: what if the vanity cabinet is adaptable/removable to provide forward approach? Does only 18" to CL of lav comply with code while the (removable) vanity cabinet is still in place)?

I'm a little late. 1134A.8.3 says that cabinets require parallel approach and must allow for adaptable knee and tow space. 1134A.8.4 says that knee and toe space can be provided under the lav if the cabinet beneath can be removed without the use of special knowledge or special tools.

11A isn't something I'm super familiar with, but the way I read this, 1134A.8.3 calls for the 24" clearance if there are adaptable cabinets. 18" does not apply when cabinets are installed, even if they are removable.