• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Exterior Gas Lanterns (wall mounted) No clue where to start for code information

Fast_Edd1e

I have a client who is wanting to put wall mounted gas lanterns on their building. This was a bit of an afterthought while the building is currently going up. But I have no clue where to begin looking for code information on these. Particularly the wall construction where this would attach. This would be in Michigan which is IBC.

The only information found is something requiring non-combustible material 12" above and 6" to either side of the lantern. I believe this was just googled and pulled from a manufacturer. Currently, they are hoping to mount these to an exterior wood surface, think old pub exterior.

Any help would be appreciated. even if its not in Michigan.

I agree with the Comish, manufactures instructions. And are they listed, if so, per listing.

Michigan Residential Code​

APPLIANCE. Any apparatus or device that utilizes a fuel or raw material to produce light, heat, power, refrigeration or air conditioning.

G2415.12.1 (404.12.1) Individual Outside Appliances
Individual lines to outdoor lights, grills or other appliances shall be installed not less than 8 inches (203 mm) below finished grade, provided that such installation is approved and is installed in locations not susceptible to physical damage.

G2432.1 (602.1) General
Decorative appliances for installation in approved solid fuel-burning fireplaces shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.60 and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Manually lighted natural gas decorative appliances shall be tested in accordance with ANSI Z21.84.

Last edited:

Michigan Mechanical Code​

301.6 Fuel Gas Appliances and Equipment
The approval and installation of fuel gas distribution piping and equipment, fuel gas-fired appliances and fuel gas-fired appliance venting systems shall be in accordance with the International Fuel Gas Code.

International Fuel Gas Code.
501.8 Appliances Not Required to Be Vented:
9) Specialized equipment of limited input such as laboratory burners and gas lights.​

Should be in the installation instructions

NOTE: The lamp is for outdoor installation only and must be installed so that the lamp is 12”from any overhead combustible material and 6” from either side. The lamp arm is long enough so that the wall mount base may be mounted on a combustible wall. The gas supply line, if installed inside the wall, should be black iron pipe. If copper or aluminum tubing is used on the outside surface of the wall, it must be protected from damage.

IFGC, either section 628 Illuminating Appliances or 635 Outdoor Decorative Appliances. The first one requires listing to ANSI Z21.42, and the second to ANSI Z21.97. Both install per manufacturer's instructions. I would accept either since this is outdoors.